The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  More Pedals and Levers
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 12:48 pm    

I have a Mullen SD10 with 3 pedals and 4 levers. which I have played now for a year. My question is: should I consider a 4th pedal (Franklin) and vertical lever.

I have read many articles on the forum about the various combinations and maybe I need more time on the PSG to understand them. So I am not sure that I really do?

However I might have the opportunity to be close too the Factory in the new year so that would be an good time for them to make the changes.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 1:08 pm    

If you have the money go ahead and do it. It won't make you a better player by itself. That still takes hard work.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 1:18 pm    

I have exactly what you described above. I play Day, and my 4th pedal (which is only partially Franklin) is at the 0 position, but I don't use it much at all (that could change as I am still in my first year of learning). My LKV (or X lever) lowers my 5th string from B to Bb, and I use it a lot - it's really cool for getting a 9th chord.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 6:07 pm    

Well, I'd like to hear your playing first...because I think the decision should be based on where you are, playing-wise, instead of where you are geographically. Personally, I consider extra pedals and levers akin to a more diverse painter's palette, it's just more "colors" for you to choose from. And if you're not a very good painter, just adding more colors to your palette won't help your art.

Many will disagree, I know. But my gut feeling is that a standard 3+4 setup should keep the average player pretty occupied for three to five years.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 1:45 am    

I agree with you Donny. My own personal situation though, was that I was in a position to afford the extras when I had mine made, and was not positive I'd be in that position in thew future. The zero pedal is the only thing I don't use regularly (or much at all at this point) at this point of my poor playing. I'm not sure I ever will the way it's set up, so I'm probably going to have it changed to do something else in the future, but that will be a while - however, it's already there when I feel the need.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 3:44 am    

I also align with Donny, adding pulls or lower is a very good thing, if you know WHY you are adding them and if they enhance your phrasing. It is best in my opinion, to get reasonably proficient with whats in front of you first otherwise we are adding one more thing that we are NOT reasonably proficient at.

perfect example, many love the lower of 5 and 10 on a V lever, I used it but not often, I removed it. I now use redundant positions for similar phrasing but added the lower 6 to the V lever which I use very often. My own preference is to have raise 7 and lower 6 on the guitar so I removed lower 5 and 10 to accomplish this.

All I am saying is once you get to a reasonable point you will know WHY you are adding a pull or lower. Don't just add them because we can !

Of course, just my opinion.
Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 8:05 am    

Gentlemen,

Thx...for your input, I think I will go along with Donny's insight and give it more time to understand if my playing warrants the installation. I am still trying to use my RKL and RKR Levers in the mix so why confuse things more with a LKV.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2019 2:30 pm     Pedals and Levers add on thread

I have given things more thought about all the recommendations to my thread. One more question came up and that is "Instead of installing a LKV dropping 5 and 10 a half step, what about using my RKL to do the same. My RKL now raises 1 a half step and drops 6 a full step.

I don't really use the RKL much at this point and dropping 5 and 10 a half step might be more useful .

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2019 4:01 pm    

Larry that RKL I would Raise 1 and 2 a whole tone along with your 6 lower .... these changes are used a lot in modern country music and would be an asset to you going into the future .

Also the vertical with B-Bb lowers is pretty much standard and you will grow into it the more you learn - adding these changes at some point is a good idea.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2019 4:53 pm    

I would make use of the split tuning also add the up knee an add a Franklin pedal.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2019 5:40 pm    

I've always felt that I learned the E9 tuning more thoroughly when I only had three-and-one. Having minimal options forced me to think laterally when I was looking for extended and altered chords.

Of course, my guitar's pretty loaded now - forty+ years later! Smile

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2019 6:15 pm    

Paddy Long wrote:
Larry that RKL I would Raise 1 and 2 a whole tone along with your 6 lower .... these changes are used a lot in modern country music and would be an asset to you going into the future .

Also the vertical with B-Bb lowers is pretty much standard and you will grow into it the more you learn - adding these changes at some point is a good idea.

A lot of your responses came from more accomplished players than I but I agree with Paddy. I have those changes on my steels. They come in very handy-for me, especially the 6th string lower. One builder and two very well known players suggested I not implement the Franklin change. Many will disagree, but I haven't missed it. I was discussing the addition of more pedals and knee levers with another forum member. He gave me some of the best advice I've ever had: Learn to play on top of the guitar.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 8:04 am    

Yes I agree with the responses regarding the "Franklin Pedal". If I don't install a LKV dropping 5 and 10 a half step, could I use the RKL to do the same job. I am wondering if I would use the change lowering the B a half step rather than leaving the RKL with the change it has now with is 1 raise half step and 6 lower a full step. I am not using this much now however I see the lowering of the 6 string coming more into play as I progress.

My guitar has the Buddy Emmons set up and also includes raising the 1st string a half step on the RKL.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 9:29 am    

I just had an email from Mullen regarding my question's and I think I will just send my guitar back to them for any changes.

Thx to all that responded.