The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eminence esp15c Speaker?
Andy Schick

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 12:11 pm    

Thoughts on replacing my heavy JBL K130 to an eminence esp15c in my Webb 614E.

Thank you

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 12:47 pm     Eminence eps 15 speaker

Read Steve Hinson's comment under the topic JBL Speakers.

Last edited by George Kimery on 15 Jan 2019 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 1:04 pm    

I use two of them with my Rev and Carvin HT400 power amp. I'm sold on them. They require a break-in period. So, don't pass final judgment on them until you've used them for a while. However, I was sold immediately. I replaced my 1501's with them.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 10:31 am    

Andy, I haven’t put it in my Webb amp but have stuck my Evans speaker in it and it sounds just fine. It dropped about 10 lbs. in weight. I’ve been happy with the EPS
15 c in my Evans SE200. About the same freq. response but more robust in power handling. Really tough to break that sucker up.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 11:52 am    

I'm using one with a Quilter Steelaire Rack amp. Before the Steelaire, I used it with a Carvin BX500.

I installed one in Nick Reed's Webb amp and he is happy with it and the less weight.

When I first got the EPS-15C for field testing from Eminence, the first time I tried it (not broke in) my initial impression was "this sounds like the JBL K-130 I had in a Fender Twin Reverb". Probably not coincidental as the EPS-15C was designed to be a direct replacement for the Peavey 1501-4 Black Widow speaker which according to Mike Brown, the 1501-4 was designed to be a higher power version of the JBL that Peavey originally used in the Session 400.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 12:39 pm    

Andy - I have a Webb 614E - a limited edition Tom Bradshaw model. I bought it without a speaker to keep the shipping cost down, and originally I put a B/W 1501 in it. At the end of last year I put an Eminence EPS-15C in it. Besides the significant drop in weight, the Eminence has a fractionally brighter top end and a slightly more scooped mid range to my ears. I'm told that the Eminence EPS range is based on the K series JBL speakers. I use Tommy White's tone settings that he uses on his Webb 614E with my Webb and the Eminence and love the tone. Above all though, my back appreciates the lighter Webb.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 10:19 pm     eminence esp 15c speaker

I wanted to go back gigging after a long lay off. I wanted a light amp set up at my age.
I bought an Eminence ESP 15C. Built a birch plywood speaker cabinet and covered it with trunk liner fabric. With cover weighs 21 1/2 lb. I got to buy a used Evans AH200, It weighs 7 1/2 lb. in its padded gig bag. My effects a BUDDA Samsara Delay, 3 lb. For a total of 32 lb.

I played a gig about a month ago, Another steel player commented, "You get good tone and power out of your set up and it weighs a lot less compared to mine".
It took several hours playing through the speaker to get the sound right. I play it in my home set up too. A rack box, With a Peavey Tubefex and Peavey 200 amp.

My Rack Box with Peavey Tubefex, Peavey 200 Amp and a Black Widow 15 Speaker, Was my gig amp.
The speaker and cabinet weighs 30 lb. Rack box 38lb. The weight is why it now is my practice rig. To dang heavy for a 75 year old me to carry.

The Sound and the weight loss was well worth it to me.