The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Building a Lap Steel
Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 12:16 pm    

Hey y’all. Starting a building project (lap steel, six-strings), and want to post to see if anyone has any ideas, tips, or feedback. My father Richard is the brains/luthier in the project- he has built a few beautiful sounding/playing six-string guitars in the past.

Here are some details for the lap steel so far (will post pics below):
-Maple body, mahogany top, ebony fretboard/headstock
-22 1/2” scale length
-Asher bridge
-Six string
-Pickup distance from bridge is still TBD
-Leaning towards a humbucker pickup

Let us know if you have any thoughts about these details or the build. I’m really excited about this, can’t wait to play it!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 12:41 pm    

Very nice, be sure to post pics when finished.

JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 12:53 pm    

Very nice. I'm in the planning stages of building a lap steel, so I'm very interested and will be following. For the first build, I'll go with a 22-1/2" scale, tele- or strat-style bridge. I'm undecided on pickup(s) and nut just now (see previous posts). I've got several fine solid boards in shop to choose from: oak, mahogany, cherry, walnut, others. I'll buy a Plexiglas fret board to use as a template. and make my own out of a wood that compliments the body and will take some fine fret markers.

This is fun.
-jcc

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 4:43 pm    

Great start on a new instrument ! Very Happy The distance from the bridge to the pickup is a debatable subject. Seems that some folks like it farther away & some like it close. My own preference has been ( so far !) is 1.5 inches, but the body material may have an effect on that figure also....

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 4:12 pm    

Bill Groner wrote:
Very nice, be sure to post pics when finished.

Bill, will definitely post finished pics, excited for when it gets to that stage Very Happy

John Bobbitt wrote:
Very nice. I'm in the planning stages of building a lap steel, so I'm very interested and will be following. For the first build, I'll go with a 22-1/2" scale, tele- or strat-style bridge. I'm undecided on pickup(s) and nut just now (see previous posts). I've got several fine solid boards in shop to choose from: oak, mahogany, cherry, walnut, others. I'll buy a Plexiglas fret board to use as a template. and make my own out of a wood that compliments the body and will take some fine fret markers.

This is fun.
-jcc

Very cool, can't wait to see and follow your build as well. Sounds like it's shaping up nicely, this is fun! Yea, we're still undecided on the pickup(s) as well, we're hoping to put in a double humbucker of some sort -- doesn't seem like there's a whole ton of options for 6string lap steel for these though Alien suggestions anyone?

Bill Creller wrote:
Great start on a new instrument ! Very Happy The distance from the bridge to the pickup is a debatable subject. Seems that some folks like it farther away & some like it close. My own preference has been ( so far !) is 1.5 inches, but the body material may have an effect on that figure also....

Thanks Bill! Yes, we've definitely been checking out some older posts/debates regarding the PU distance from bridge -- i think we're gonna play that by ear for now, may take a little experimenting/guessing Winking Will def try out and consider 1.5 inches, seems like a solid distance.

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 4:31 pm    

Want to also post some updates/pics for some things Richard added this week, so stoked for how things are turning out so far !! Mr. Green

Pre-binding photo:

Adding the binding (chose black color - looking good with staining/color options on mahogany top, and maple body - think it will look sleek and smooth with the ebony fretboard too):

Pre Fretboard Inlay Photo:

Fretboard after inlay added - decided to have markers for 24th fret - these, as well as the markers after the 12th fret, are scaled/tapered smaller until they to make them fit the smaller fret sizes uo the neck, and also for aesthetics:

Binding after added:

Full Body shots with Bridge (very meticulous process installing the bridge regarding measurements to get scale length right/perfect - turned out great tho Cool:

Really happy with how black binding turned out, can really see from this pic:

Wow, can't believe how this baby is turning out so far, sweet!! Very Happy [/img]

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 12:15 am    

Wow, can't believe how this baby is turning out so far, sweet!! Very Happy

SWEET is a good choice to describe it!

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 5:59 am     Re: Building a Lap Steel

Casey Saulpaugh wrote:

-Asher bridge
]

I do have a question for you guys - the guitar looks nice, but I wonder why the Gibson-style electric guitar bridge on adjustable posts, rather than a simple plain metal bridge like most of the older steels?

This seems to be a modern trend; is is from regular electric guitar building techniques? for a certain tone? to use a certain maker's bridge?

Just curious....

Tom Snook

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 7:31 am    

for your info,the distance from single coil pickup pole center to bridge center on my rickenbacher model 100 lap steel is 1 1/4 inches. Looking good!

Bill Creller

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 10:51 am    

It's gonna be beautiful !! Very Happy

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 1:49 pm    

Hey ya'll, thanks for the positive feedback!

Want to post an update: Richard's made solid progress on knob installation for the volume and tone knobs. We had to narrow down a location for them that had a nice balance of aesthetics and functionality. A part of this decision involved where a cavity would be created underneath the body, to house electronics and such. Richard created the cavity, looks great, and we're really happy with how these turned out. We aren't set on these particular chrome knobs, but they will do for now as far as visual reference for the knobs.

Also, we ordered a Lollar "Imperial" humbucker pickup, and this will be our first choice for pickups. Really stoked to hear how this will sound: we've been talking ideas on how to wire this for selections of series, parallel, and/or coil-cut. Probably gonna make the switch have all three options. Once this arrives, will open the road to make some big headway on the build. Richard's been experimenting with different staining options in anticipation of the finish. Gonna be awesome, thanks for checking it out!

Pictures of the mentioned progress below:

Rock on Mr. Green

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 3:59 am    

Have you decided what you will use for the nut?

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2018 4:30 pm    

Hi Casey,
Here is one I made, a 7 String with a $10 Humbucker from Fleabay. The pickup position is about the same as what you plan.

And here is what it sounds like, the Guitar appears in the second half of the Video. Good luck with your build, I'm sure it won't be your last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTmg9o1UXOo

James Kerr

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 3:24 am    

Website dedicated towards building instruments:
http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/

"MIMF" means Musical Instruments Makers Forum, before your mind runs wild there. Very Happy

AND, a website dedicated to building steel guitars only!
http://steelguitarbuilder.com/forum/index.php

We are not alone, maybe THE TREES ARE WATCHING US!
Woo-Woo-Woo-Woo etc. Alien

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2018 7:21 am    

Cool lap James sounds very good😇

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2018 7:22 am    

Beautiful work Casey

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2018 8:11 am    

James and Casey, those steels are real inspiring. I want to make a double neck myself. One design idea I would want is the palm rest that Sol Hoopii got the Dickerson/Magnatone lap steels to have. I like the way is feels because it helps with wrist strain. I would also like a Seafoam Green color.

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 4:21 pm    

Hey ya'll, hope everyone's doing well.

Bill, going to be using a piece of brass angle polished for the nut.

James - beautiful build man, really dig it. Love the color scheme: the white body and fretboard blend nicely into the tones on the neck and middle of body. A nice Autumnal touch with the leaves in the pic. It sounds great! Thanks for sharing the vid, very nice playing - gotta love a nice Hawaiian tune Smile

David - thanks for sharing those links, nice to know about these. Forgot about steel guitarbuilder.com - had been there once years ago, nice to check it out again. Woo Woo Alien

Thanks Johnie and Jesse, appreciate the kind words. Jesse - that'd be awesome, let us know if you go for it! Sounds like a cool design idea, the palm rest would certainly be a nice comfort to have. I think Seafoam Green would be awesome, especially considering the history of the instrument, would make me want to take it straight to the beaches of Hawaii Mr. Green

Here are a couple of update pics. Started the staining and grain filling process, Richard experimented with a bunch of different stain color combinations before settling on the one in last pic. Love the warmth to it. Looking at color options for the body underneath now. Stoked to play this puppy soon Devil

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 12:50 pm    

Getting close! Here are some update pics. Richard recently finished dying the wood, adding clear coats of lacquer, and buffing it down. Working on putting it together and wiring now. Also, finished up the nut.

Looks stunning, can't wait to play this baby!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 12:56 pm    

Man that is sure pretty.

Bill Creller

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 6:41 pm    

Wow ! That really brought out the beauty of the grain !! Very Happy

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 5:15 pm    

I like the fretboard wood choice and stretching onto the headstock. Really gives focus to the business end of the guitar.

Nice job!

Gary B Swift

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 10:16 am    

Working on putting it together and wiring now.

Nice to see that the copper shielding tape is grounded! Some people skip that step, which defeats the purpose...

Best wishes from Western Nevada!
=gary=

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 7:56 pm    

The two MONGO-EST ideas my brain cuddles up with in my Imaginary Ultimate Rad Project (I-URP) are:
A) a MOVABLE, swimming-pool-route kind of pickup arrangement - mebbe even two PU's. A while back, I adopted a Godin "SD-24" six-string which had been through the classic fall from grace:
1) not-so-hot guitarist buys fine instrument;
2) N.S.H. guitarist plugs into really N.S.H. amp;
3)NSHG goes "BRRNNG!HG!!whRRwhSS.. grsm-zt. zt, zt"; sez "That sounds like CRAP!"
4) the gent recalls that his hero Doodle Lee Twangbucket uses Dwarf-Crusher pickups. Surely THAT will fix everything? After all - they're EXPENSIVE, and we all know what that means.
5) Upon thoroughly demolishing everything noisesome, NSHG discovers he has absolutely NO idea what soldering even IS;
6-11) moving along, 2 yrs. back of closet, Godin gradually morphs to become "piece of broken junk", the shame keeps it hidden, me snork it up, first I re-destroy everything noisesome.

I end up with a swimming pool, I put a couple rails of pickguard stuff down each side, I have TWO output jacks, the regular on the side and a stratty one on top, rather than perm-soldering everything's hooked on with little alligator clips... I sure wish I'd done this 30 years ago, as in "So THAT'S what a pickup really does!"

Idea #2, which many pursue, is using a grooved bridge holder or slotty thing that lets you try all sorts of different materials - brass, steel, delrin, ultem, ebony, so WHAT if it wears, ROTATE... My MSA SuperSlide is right at the upper limits of trebly-ness, I've got resistors bridged all over the pots, heavy strings tuned low, soft bar (sometimes). I managed to woog a 1/4" brass bar in there instead of the "right" bridge. The pickup is RIGHT NEXT to the bridge... like, I have a Fouke all-aluminum 8-string, with a single coil PU - tooth-shattering? No, mellifluous and round. The pickup is TWO INCHES from the bridge.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 10:47 pm    

David Mason wrote:
The two MONGO-EST ideas my brain cuddles up with in my Imaginary Ultimate Rad Project (I-URP) are:

Articulate and funny.. Very Happy

Quote:
Here are some details for the lap steel so far (will post pics below):
-Maple body, mahogany top, ebony fretboard/headstock
-22 1/2” scale length
-Asher bridge
-Six string

Can someone expound on the benefits of the Asher bridge for a lap steel?