The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Jamestown Ferry"-Charley Crockett-Nathan Fleming Steel
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 2:26 pm    

Happy New Year tab fans! Here's a request for Nathan Fleming's steel intro and break off Charley Crockett's song "Jamestown Ferry". It's from Charley's CD "Lil G.L.'s Honky Tonk Jubilee". I've only seen some of Charley's videos but I've read several articles about him and he seems like a pretty cool dude who has paid his dues.
As always, corrections and comments are welcome.

If you're working off the CD the intro is right at the start and the break is at 1:49
If you're using this youtube video, the intro doesn't start until 0:35 and the break is at 2:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRHnCM3jBA

Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 4:17 pm    

Hey Jeff, what are your thoughts on fingering for the right hand on the first bit in the intro? Just the walk up part. I can play it at 50-75% speed, but having trouble playing it at the actual speed. I’m thinking it can be an issue with my picking.

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 5:32 pm    

Hey Jamie...to each his/her own but I think for economy of motion, I would assign the thumb to string 6, index finger to string 5, and middle finger to string 3 throughout the intro. I think that makes more sense than moving your thumb back and forth from string 5 to string 6 in the first two beats of the triplets - you're going to need the full three string grip at the end of the line anyway. Just until you learn it (I'm guessing the 2nd and third beats of each triplet feel a little weird) try hitting the 5th string as well as the 6th string on the second beat of each triplet. Once you've got that steady 1-2-3 down only hit string 6 on the second beat of each triplet. It's worth a try Smile

Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 11:25 am    

Ya, I'll work at it. Thanks.

Alden Oldfield

Owingsville, KY
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2020 9:41 am    

Jeff, do you think you could take a crack at the intro and possibly solo ~1:13 for "Just a drink away" off this album? The fills on this song are gorgeous. I haven't been playing too long, so still trying to train my ears to play what I'm hearing on songs I like. Thanks!

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2020 10:20 am     Thanks...

Great work, Jeff! Love this song. Charley Crockett has one of those voices that you either love or won't listen to. I remember the Tanya Tucker version, but like the music of Charlies best.

Thanks again....

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2020 12:24 pm    

Alden: I just listened to it and I like it Smile I'll see if I can take a look at the intro and break when I get a minute.

Dick: Thanks! I read about Charley a few years ago in one of those in-flight magazines. He's got a pretty interesting biography so I thought I'd check out his music. He's originally from South Texas but spent a lot of time growing up with an uncle in New Orleans - he sort of has that lazy N'awlins drawl. He spent time as a street performer in New Orleans and NYC and has a wide range of musical influences and life experiences. Nice steel by Nathan Fleming on this album.