The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Multi -Effects Pedal board suggestions.
Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 6:01 pm    

What are some recommendations for a good multi effects pedal board that includes delay, reverb and overdrive in one pedal board? I am looking for an alternative to the Benado Effects steel dream. Thanks for any suggestions.

Craig
Telonics Amp, Stereo Steel, Fender Vibrasonic & many Telecasters (You can't have too many)

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 7:15 pm    

The Line 6 M9 is a good unit. I use it and it works great for me. 3 effects at a time. They have a M13 which is 4 effects at a time.

Tony

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 8:18 pm    

The Mooer Red Truck is a cool unit. I have one but use it for guitar. It is compact and has reverb, analog or digital delay, faser or tremolo, tap tempo, tuner, distortion and boost. Don’t see why it wouldn’t be good for steel.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 9:52 am    

There are dozens if not hundreds of multi effects out there that will give you the same effects (and often more) as the Benado Steel Dream.

However.........

One possible advantage of the BSD is that it is easily tweakable on the fly. There are no menus and screens to scroll through. Just turn the knobs and go.

Now the playing field starts to narrow down. Off the top of my head I can't think of another that will do this with the same effects as the BSD.

If on the fly adjustments are important/desirable, I'd suggest maybe a small pedal board with the 2-3 effects that you want.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 9:56 am    

This would be my suggestion.
The three effects you can place on this board are about all you need for pedal steel:

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 10:29 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:

Good choice Erv.

Craig, it will also depend on how much tweaking you like to do and if having a gaggle of pedals at your feet, your cup of tea.

You may be doing this so your gigs go smoother remembering settings.

Your guitar/amp and touch will weigh much on your choice vs another's. You'll have to pay some dues and go through the pile.

Here's something from Wampler that goes beyond three knobs.

Start with this to shape tones as it is usually (but not in stone) gain before delay.

Or this:

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 10:37 am    

I like separate effect units.
You have more chances to dial in the right effect.
Some steelers are sold on the Boss RV-3 with the reverb and delay combined in one pedal but I feel it really limits your choices. Very Happy
Erv

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 10:44 am    

This Mooer Red Truck is pretty nifty. As I mentioned, I use it for guitar but will hook it up to my steel and give it a test drive.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/mooer-red-truck-multi-effects-pedal

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 5:09 pm    

I have tried several reverb and delay units. I keep coming back to the Benado PF-1 regardless of amp/preamp configuration. Once Sage showed me how to use the Nutra Drive section as a clean boost, I found it even more useful. There have been times when I wished the unit was a little more compact, but if I used a pedal board, I'd still have to deal with it near my foot. Of course this is all subjective. Good luck with your search.