The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Artist VT Series 15 BW
Wayne Steppy

Fort Worth Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 12:08 pm    

I picked up a Peavey Artist VT 115 amp up about 10 years ago off of Craigslist for about $100. I thought I would get to it and never have. It works, but at the very least it needs the treble pot replaced and a foot switch. The reverb is not working but I'm hoping that the footswitch could resolve that issue.
Does anyone know if this amp is worth getting repaired?

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 12:34 pm    

I have an Artist with a 12" BW, and I LOVE mine. I plan to keep mine in working order for as long as I can because of how much I dig the way it sounds.

As far as "worth it"... It probably won't be worth it in terms of resale value. Though these ones seem to be a lot more rare that their bigger bros (Deuce and Mace), they still only go for about $200 in working order. I think they are worth a lot more than that, and I'd put mine up against more expensive amps any day.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 4:42 pm    

I may be wrong, however I heard that the Peavey Artist amp ,was like Mesa Boogie Boogie at the time having 100 watts and a quad of 6L6 power tubes in a small cab. I had one in the 70’s and it was a powerhouse of an amp. With the footswitch you could combine channels. Maybe Mike Brown can chime in here.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2019 7:36 am    

https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/005519.html

Seems to be alot of love for them. I have a Heritage which was the two channel followup to 4x6L6 lineup. I agree strongly with the statement that the hybrid amps were Peaveys best. In fact they are some of the best sounding clean amps ever made by any manufacturer.

as far as worth fixing... a replacement pot wont take 20 minutes of time. I have always fixed my own Peavey amps because they arent worth the market value to justify a tech. I do worry about getting zapped especially when High Voltages are involved. The real value is in the tone.. the market value doesnt reflect how good these hybrid amps are. A music man will run 500 minimum. And the peaveys are better imo.

The default for reverb with my Heritage with no footswitch is Reverb On. I have fixed or replaced my own reverb tanks. They are far cheaper than a person can imagine based on the complexity .. 20 or 30 bucks iirc... chec out antique Electronic Supply near Mesa Az. They ship phone in orders.

Many times I have read that Peavey reverb tanks tend to fail because of a bad connection inside the tank. Takes a minute to fix iirc.

Wayne Steppy

Fort Worth Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2019 6:09 pm    

Thanks for the input! Sounds like it might be worth fixing and keeping.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2019 9:58 am    

There have been a lot of posts about Peavey reverbs going out. In many cases cleaning the jacks with electrical cleaner solved the problem. Might want to give it a try. If not, reverb tanks are cheap and easy to replace, as Tom mentioned. Those older Peavey amps could take a beating and lasted forever with virtually zero maintenance.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2019 5:42 pm    

Those are versatile amps if you have the automix footswitch that came with it. It's probably good for another 40 years with a bit of service.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 5:27 pm    

Wayne,

If the shaft to the broken pot is plastic, you can:
Make a pilot hole down the middle of what is left of the shaft, by heating an awl or a nail over a flame, and make a small hole in the plastic. 1/4” will do. Take a 3/4 screw, and put a bit of epoxy on the tip, and screw it into the hole. You can use the screw as a shaft for a knob, or just use the screw.

If it’s metal, you could Dremel a slot in the shaft , and turn with a flat head screwdriver.

If I was looking to fix it without taking it to a tech, I’d try that.

The reverb pan ( if that’s the issue ) can be replaced with a “MOD” brand equivalent. They sound great, and seem better built than the accutronics pan.

Hope that helps.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 6:42 pm    

I had one with a 12" speaker for a few years, it sounded good, but it was really heavy. I gave it to a budding steel player that couldn't afford an amp, and he needed it worse than I did.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Wayne Steppy

Fort Worth Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 7:29 pm    

Thanks Steve, I'll give that a try!