The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Williams vs Show Pro
David Gram

Netherlands
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 12:25 pm    

Hi all!

In 2019 i'll finally make the big leap and will purchase a custom steel guitar from either of these companies. It will be an E9 SD-10

Both have such a great sound and all my favorite players play on steels made by these companies. I'm currently playing a Sho Bud 6139 (E9 Rack 'n Barrel) which sounds amazing but is a little clunky and doesn't have the sustain i'm looking for.

Both a Show Pro and a Williams look amazing but i'm wondering what the technical differences are between them. Which has a better changer / more solidly build / stands the test of time etc. Since I'm located in Europa I can only actually test a Williams at the moment because there simply isn't a Show Pro around in my country. But I'm willing to check one out eventually. I wanna try them before dropping 3.5k+ on a guitar.

Please let me know your experiences with these Steels. People that played (/own) both please share your thoughts.

Thanks a lot!

David

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 12:36 pm    

Both are fine guitars, but why don't you let someone service your Sho-Bud? Tone wise you can't hardly get anything better.

David Gram

Netherlands
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 12:58 pm    

Marco Schouten wrote:
Both are fine guitars, but why don't you let someone service your Sho-Bud? Tone wise you can't hardly get anything better.

My sho-bud is setup fine. I just noticed more sustain and more play-ability with a modern steel with better undercarriage and changer.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 1:38 pm    

Both great guitars,Toss a coin!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Walter Glockler

Northern New Mexico
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 1:42 pm    

Actually, I switched from a modern top brand to a '75 Sho - Bud LDG.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 4:15 pm    

They're both great guitars. If one is available in your country and the other is not, go for the one that's readily available. You'll avoid the shipping and insurance and customs charges, and the risk of damage in transit. And you'll have a great guitar anyway - and quicker too!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 5:09 pm    

I haven't played either one, not that my opinion would mean much anyway. Laughing

The Williams website has very detailed pics of the underside (what I think is the important part). The Show Pro website doesn't?

However, they probably both make a great guitar. Smile

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 6:36 pm    

Impossible question too answer there both awesome!!!

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 2:41 am     psg

The major difference I'm aware of is the cross shafts. Show-Pro uses round shafts and Williams uses square shafts. Changers are different also. I prefer square shafts for the easy changes with bellcranks and pullrods. Williams roller nuts are gauged also. Sho-Pro's may be don't know but can be ordered, I imagine. Mica covered guitars are also available with a Williams. Both brands use beautiful cabinets in several finishes, colors, etc. for the lacquered guitars. I play a 2016 Williams but certainly would consider the ShoPro guitars. The changer design is what put me behind a Williams. Good luck !!!

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 5:09 am    

The 'Show Pro' company was begun by Duane Marrs who was an employee at 'Sho-Bud' in the earlier days. The design of the changer mechanism, cross rods, etc. is very similar to the classic "Buds" and the tone is as close to my ears as you will find in a modern guitar without many of the mechanical drawbacks. Build quality is excellent. Sorry, have never owned a Williams so cannot make an honest comparison.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 5:29 am    

Billy, what it is you like about the Williams changer? Mine appears quite conventional at first sight.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 6:59 am    

The difference that is readily apparent is the way the string attaches to the finger and the angle of the dangle.
Erv

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 8:08 am    

Some video samples of the Williams.

click

click

Regards,
Ron Hogan
Nashville, TN

David Gram

Netherlands
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 9:39 am    

Could you guys maybe explain to me what the difference between square - round shafts. I'm considering a birdseye maple body probably no mica, so the difference between them would probably be just the changer / under carriage.

I'm also considering an aluminum neck instead of a wooden one.

I do see some plastic parts in the williams video Ron is that ideal for the long run?

Would love to hear more experiences with these steels from you guys.

Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 10:16 am    

Show Pro doesn’t offer aluminum necks! Great guitars though!!!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 10:46 am    

I think I have seen one Show Pro with an aluminum neck. Probably a custom job for someone.

Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 11:19 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
I think I have seen one Show Pro with an aluminum neck. Probably a custom job for someone.

Yep! Eddy Dunlap has one. Custom job

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 11:59 am    

There were 4 companies that made my final cut when choosing who I was going to order my new (pending) guitar from. These two were among them. There was absolutely no hesitation concerning whether the result would be a great steel.
I narrowed it down to features that suited my wants and needs, my idea of what their sonic signature was (something that is easily disrupted by listening to fine players making them sound different from how I'd believed them to sound) and some other intangibles that just appealed to me.
I just don't believe you can go wrong with either of these and you just need to zone in on what you want and like in a steel guitar.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 12:11 pm    

Brian Gattis wrote:
Jim Cohen wrote:

Brian, you can pick which neck you want, aluminum necks cost little extra...

Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 12:41 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:
Brian Gattis wrote:
Jim Cohen wrote:

Brian, you can pick which neck you want, aluminum necks cost little extra...

I stand corrected.
Also Jeff is a great guy to do business with. You wont be disappointed!!!

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 12:54 pm    

David,

There's a dude in Bavaria, Germany who is selling his apparently as-new Show-Pro (a D-10, though). If you dodn't mind the drive, maybe he lets you take it for a spin.
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/pedalsteel-gitarre/995396621-74-5981

David Gram

Netherlands
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 2:25 pm    

Martin Abend wrote:
David,

There's a dude in Bavaria, Germany who is selling his apparently as-new Show-Pro (a D-10, though). If you dodn't mind the drive, maybe he lets you take it for a spin.
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/pedalsteel-gitarre/995396621-74-5981

Thank you Martin I might give that a go!

I appreciate all the comments, there's no doubt in my mind both companies make brilliant guitars. I guess it comes down to what fits me best. I just like to have a couple of opinions on these two and the differences between them to weigh in on the decision Smile

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 3:21 pm    

My choice would be the Show Pro. I owned a Williams, and actually preferred my Carter. It's a great guitar though, I just didn't care for the large extrusion used for the knee levers. The guitar was uncomfortable to me. Seeing as how I don't break strings on the Carter, the fingers on the Williams made no difference to me. I change strings enough so they don't break. I had broken a couple of strings on the Williams. But, with all that said, I would own a Williams again, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

There have been more pro players playing a Show Pro than Williams. In fact, I don't know of any pro that plays a Williams. But that shouldn't make any difference. A great guitar is a great guitar, no matter who makes it.

Show Pro could do a much better job providing info on their site.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 4:22 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
In fact, I don't know of any pro that plays a Williams.

BJ Cole. Greg Leisz.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 4:29 pm    

b0b wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:
In fact, I don't know of any pro that plays a Williams.

BJ Cole. Greg Leisz.

Eric Heywood. Barry Sless.