The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  2 channel amp suggestions
Robert Weeks

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 8:47 am    

So I'm reaching out to see if there's a 2 channel amp out that I'm not aware of...

I have 3 Vegas amps and 2 acoustic image heads. These are obviously all 2 channel amps. I'm looking to experiment with a different rig. So if anyone knows of a 2 channel combo with adjustments for each channel let me know. Essentially, a smaller and lighter Vegas would be ideal..lol

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 9:30 am    

I have a DV Mark Micro 50 head available that's 2 channel with separate EQ for each.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=336120&highlight=mark

Robert Weeks

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 11:09 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
I have a DV Mark Micro 50 head available that's 2 channel with separate EQ for each.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=336120&highlight=mark

I appreciate the link. That would probably not be enough watts for my particular applications. It does look very nice! Thanks

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 6:59 pm    

Quilter steelaire

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 9:01 pm    

I am using a Fender Vibrasonic that has a steel channel and a guitar channel. It is a great amp!

Craig
Telonics Amp, Stereo Steel, Fender Vibrasonic & many Telecasters (You can't have too many)

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 9:40 pm    

I very much dislike my Vegas. Maybe its the 1502 speaker that needs replaced .. with a Neo if ever.

I use a Peavey Heritage which is two channels but only one input. GREAT sounding amp but needs a aby switchbox ahead of it if two instruments are required. I paid 100 bucks for it and it is in the top 2 of my 14 amp collection. Does everything well.

If weight is an issue.. note that early 70s Silverface Fender like my 45W Bandmaster Reverb are heads that you can carry a separate cab. I converted the huge Head cabinet with a new baffle and made it into a lightweight 2x8" practise and grab n go amp that I can add a 1x15 or 2x12 cab to. Its very very practical for my needs. Used 2 Jensen Mod 8 speakers in my conversion which sounds good both clean and with dirt box. The lows are not quite deep enough with 8inch speakers but overall it has been a practical roue.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 11:30 pm    

Fender Pro Reverb, Twin Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, Bandmaster, Bandmaster Reverb, Dual Showman, Dual Showman Reverb, Pro Reverb...

Lighter weight, how about a Dual Showman or Bandmaster into a neo speaker cabinet?? Those are some very toneful and lighter options at two different power/loudness levels.

B

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 1:43 am    

maybe re-define what is meant by TWO channel.

real TWO channel like a common Fender BF/SF amp

or

Switchable TWO channel ( clean and Gain) like the modern era amps.

They are not the same and do not carry the same definition. What exactly are U asking for ? Question

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Robert Weeks

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 7:47 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
maybe re-define what is meant by TWO channel.

real TWO channel like a common Fender BF/SF amp

or

Switchable TWO channel ( clean and Gain) like the modern era amps.

They are not the same and do not carry the same definition. What exactly are U asking for ? Question

I need 2 independent channels with controls for each channel (reverb, eq, etc..) As I eluded to in the OP, something like a Vegas 400 design. I need to be able to quickly switch between instruments during a song.

Robert Weeks

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 8:15 am    

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will take a look at all mentioned.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 1:52 pm    

Just a note that since the Peavey Heritage has both a low and high input tied together feeding two separate channels you could easily run buffered instrument signals to the two input jacks - and as long as you turned the unused instrument volume off you could simply footswitch to the channel associated with the instrument in play. .

This would eliminate the need for an ABY box.

I refitted this amp with the speakers used in the early Nashville 112 and that speaker sounds excellent with a six string electtic as well as steel.
the eqs on the Peavey are more flexible than on any vintage fender.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 1:51 am    

Robert Weeks wrote:

I need 2 independent channels with controls for each channel (reverb, eq, etc..) As I eluded to in the OP, something like a Vegas 400 design. I need to be able to quickly switch between instruments during a song.

I hear ya and that is something many of us have been seeking for a very long time. I've been doing double duty for the whole ride, over 40 years. You
are not the first person to have such a need, you are a member of a large club. Very Happy

A few thoughts though. Typically, guitar pickers don't like the tones of Steel guitar amps ( solid state) and vice versa, so a whole new problem is exposed.

What is the use, small room, medium playing levels or LARGE room with lots of reserve power ? This matters.

Did you consider a Deluxe Reverb I think it is the 68 RI model, two channels, both have reverb. Enough clean gain for a small to mid sized room. Nice amps, a bit pricey.

A few of us are using the new 4 pound DV amps, 50 watts and up . Switch channels with a FOOT switch. Both channels have level, EQ and reverb. Independent from each other but yet the second channel is interactive, this is a PLUS not a negative. You would still need an AB box as it only has a single input, but this is easily accomplished. I do it as well as others on many gigs now. Different tone and volume settings for Steel and Guitar . Plenty of flexibility but NOT with separate inputs, BUT 4 POUNDS with reverb.

The obvious answer is an older Fender amp as you already know. But they are NOT lite-weight. Most two channel Fender amps only have Reverb on one channel so you gotta bring an "ADD" anyway.

Double duty is just something we deal with, we either use a TWIN Reverb or we gear down to something with less weight which still offers the same amp characteristics , at less than half the weight. Not gonna happen.

An AB Box is not a curse, in many circles it is a blessing. It allows for exactly what you are seeking.

Or, as I do on many gigs, I carry a Blues Jr ( or bigger) and a Nashville 112. Problem solved. Since giving up the Twin Reverbs this has been a very common thing for me, on SOME gigs. Not all. I do this often based on the venue. Two amps becomes part of life and eliminates all that other stuff we seek as a necessity.

Good luck !

Robert Weeks

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 8:31 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
Robert Weeks wrote:

I hear ya and that is something many of us have been seeking for a very long time. I've been doing double duty for the whole ride, over 40 years. You
are not the first person to have such a need, you are a member of a large club. Very Happy

A few thoughts though. Typically, guitar pickers don't like the tones of Steel guitar amps ( solid state) and vice versa, so a whole new problem is exposed.

What is the use, small room, medium playing levels or LARGE room with lots of reserve power ? This matters.

Did you consider a Deluxe Reverb I think it is the 68 RI model, two channels, both have reverb. Enough clean gain for a small to mid sized room. Nice amps, a bit pricey.

A few of us are using the new 4 pound DV amps, 50 watts and up . Switch channels with a FOOT switch. Both channels have level, EQ and reverb. Independent from each other but yet the second channel is interactive, this is a PLUS not a negative. You would still need an AB box as it only has a single input, but this is easily accomplished. I do it as well as others on many gigs now. Different tone and volume settings for Steel and Guitar . Plenty of flexibility but NOT with separate inputs, BUT 4 POUNDS with reverb.

The obvious answer is an older Fender amp as you already know. But they are NOT lite-weight. Most two channel Fender amps only have Reverb on one channel so you gotta bring an "ADD" anyway.

Double duty is just something we deal with, we either use a TWIN Reverb or we gear down to something with less weight which still offers the same amp characteristics , at less than half the weight. Not gonna happen.

An AB Box is not a curse, in many circles it is a blessing. It allows for exactly what you are seeking.

Or, as I do on many gigs, I carry a Blues Jr ( or bigger) and a Nashville 112. Problem solved. Since giving up the Twin Reverbs this has been a very common thing for me, on SOME gigs. Not all. I do this often based on the venue. Two amps becomes part of life and eliminates all that other stuff we seek as a necessity.

Good luck !

I appreciate all the knowledge!

The acoustic image head im using weight 4 pounds and 600 watts. I've paired it with a telonics cabinet and eminence eps 15" speaker. It's a light combo, it just doesn't have the eq range adjustment I need.

I'm definitely interested in a old fender. Most of my shows are medium to large venues. It will be in and out of a tour bus, so reliability will be important. I've also been alerted to try a sho bud Christmas tree amp. At this point, a 15" speaker will be my first choice. I will also check out anything with a 12" and give it a fair try.

In the past I've also used a polytone. It breaks up real bad with the stage volume we play normally. The Vegas came next and its decent with a different speaker.

I have a telonics amp that I don't use anymore and probably fixing to sell or try and trade it for a old fender..if possible..lol

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2019 7:11 pm     Two channel amp suggestions

Here is my current set-up. This is not a two channel amp as you had asked about, but it is a two amp stereo set-up that will do what you are wanting.

The Evans stereo pre-amp feeds into the stereo power amp section of the Stereo Steel combo. I can switch from one amp to the other just by moving the input cord from one amp to the other. I can select right or left channel, or both channels, with either the !eft/right controls on the Evans or the Stereo Steel.

If running two different instruments,this is what it allows you to do: Plug each instrument into the preferred amp. Depending which speaker you have connected to which output, pan right or left to hear one instrument only through one of two speaker cabinets. Pan the opposite way to hear the other instrument through the other speaker cabinet. You do the panning in advance, not during the show. You are setting it to play one instrument through one channel and one speaker cabinet and the other instrument to play through the other channel and the other speaker cabinet. You can have a different speaker in each cabinet to suit the instrument that will be coming from that cabinet, or pan stereo and you get either instrument coming through both speakers, a sort of hybrid stereo sound. By going to a rack, all your controls will be on the floor right beside you.

I use GD Walker cabinets with JBL D-130 speakers. The cabinets are very compact and not heavy.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 6:00 am    

I hope Robert doesn’t mind me telling you that he is a very excellent fiddle player & also plays mandolin in the Johnny Gimble fashion. He plays Honkey Tonks in Texas & works with also very excellent steel players. He needs a very durable good amp with 2 complete channels. And light weight is always a plus. The requirements may be a little different from a steel amp although many fiddle players use steel amps. Hope that info helps a little.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 6:38 am    

Robert,

Have you considered a Milkman Half and Half? They come in a combo or head configuration. The head is spec'ed at 12 pounds. They are pricey new, but maybe shopping for a used head unit that allows your choice of speakers might be a consideration. I don't have a dog in that hunt, just an option no one mentioned yet.

Robert Weeks

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 8:07 am    

Danny Letz wrote:
I hope Robert doesn’t mind me telling you that he is a very excellent fiddle player & also plays mandolin in the Johnny Gimble fashion. He plays Honkey Tonks in Texas & works with also very excellent steel players. He needs a very durable good amp with 2 complete channels. And light weight is always a plus. The requirements may be a little different from a steel amp although many fiddle players use steel amps. Hope that info helps a little.

Thanks Danny!

Your very correct, I have almost always played a amp made for steel. They seem to work well with fiddle. It's hard enough finding a amp you like for 1 instrument, much less 2 instruments..lol

Robert Weeks

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 8:09 am    

Jim Cooley wrote:
Robert,

Have you considered a Milkman Half and Half? They come in a combo or head configuration. The head is spec'ed at 12 pounds. They are pricey new, but maybe shopping for a used head unit that allows your choice of speakers might be a consideration. I don't have a dog in that hunt, just an option no one mentioned yet.

I have considered a milkman. I know they are great amps. As a working musician, they may be out of my price range. As you said, maybe a used one will come up.

Thanks

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 8:24 am    

Something you may have already considered: Cut down the Vegas into a head cabinet. Then you can use the old cabinet for the speaker or have a new lighter birch cabinet made to fit whatever speaker[s] you want to use. Also gives you the option of using any speaker/cabinet.

Peavey Jazz Classic is a footswithable 2 channel amp same size as a NV400.

Then there are the "city series" 2 channel 400 amps, besides the Vegas, maybe Reno or Austin. Can all usually be found at reasonable prices.

All 80's, 90's technology but could probably be mounted in a head cabinet. Still heavy, but more compact.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 8:44 am    

I don't know if this amp would have enough power for you or not, but it has the features you want. Maybe you could try one out somewhere.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/THR100Dual--yamaha-thr100h-dual-100-watt-2-channel-modeling-head

Robert Weeks

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 8:45 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Something you may have already considered: Cut down the Vegas into a head cabinet. Then you can use the old cabinet for the speaker or have a new lighter birch cabinet made to fit whatever speaker[s] you want to use. Also gives you the option of using any speaker/cabinet.

Peavey Jazz Classic is a footswithable 2 channel amp same size as a NV400.

Then there are the "city series" 2 channel 400 amps, besides the Vegas, maybe Reno or Austin. Can all usually be found at reasonable prices.

All 80's, 90's technology but could probably be mounted in a head cabinet. Still heavy, but more compact.

Yes sir, I did this exact thing with a Vegas head last year. The light/compact is a bonus, but it's more about the vegas sound not being what I desire. Thanks

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 4:05 pm    

The Original Milkman Sideman
2 independent channels - Separate EQs
Channel 1 voiced for Guitar Channel 2 for steel

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 5:42 pm    

Would a Twin Reverb head installed in its own cab be out of the question? Pipe it to whatever speaker setup...

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 9:49 pm     If You Like Tubes.

Fender heads with several speaker options, is always a good way to go. I run this Twin a lot, with the two single cab 15” D-130’s or the lighter 12” EVM-12L’s.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 2:27 am    

Ken Morgan wrote:
Would a Twin Reverb head installed in its own cab be out of the question? Pipe it to whatever speaker setup...

A Twin Reverb is ALWAYS the top of the list consideration, head or cab. As far as I am concerned,for double duty, everyone is chasing a Twin Reverb but they want it to weigh 4 pounds. Nothing beats this 4x6L6 Fender platform for double duty. Weight aside...