The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lehle 90 Volume Pedal
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 3:20 pm    

I just saw a Lehle 90 Volume Pedal on reverb.com for $227.87. Really great price. Hands down, best pedal I have ever used. Made in Germany and the model 90 for steel with the outputs on the side are hard to find in the USA. No pot, string, or moving parts. Magnetic technology. You can Google Lehle volume pedal 2018 NAMM show to see a video explanation of the pedal and how it works.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 5:35 pm    

George, looks like another concept of 18v buffered and amplified magnetic sensor pedal. May well work great. I have resisted the electronic pedals and will as long as I can use the old Goodrich. Maybe someday in the future but for now no extra power supply pedals for me. It does give us another choice.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 6:51 pm    

Looks like a great pedal. I'm kind of like Larry. I like the old pot and string technology. I get a great sound out of my Old Ernie Ball. Its one of the really old ones with the jacks on the side but its still as solid as a rock and no power supply to worry about.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 7:16 pm     Leslie volume pedal

I was with you guys on a pot pedal until I got the Lehle
I went through two Hiltons and a Omni. I tried out Telonics and to my ears,they sounded like a Hilton. So it was back to my 120 pedal with an AB pot. I had no plans to try an active pedal ever again. Then the technology of the Lehlie really intrigued me. I am an experimenter by nature, and found a place that had a 30 day return policy on the Lehlie, so I took a shot. I really like the sound of it, it's built like a tank, and nothing to wear out or need replacing. I may be the on!y one that likes it. All the pedals I tried were good pedals and I am glad there are so many excellent pedal choices available for normal ears that hear differently than I do.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 9:07 pm    

I’ve always used the Goodrich L120, Bradshaw upgraded the pot to 500k.
Telonics was too loud for me. (I use tube amps)
Hilton pleases my ears but I didn’t need it.
Just bought the mini pedal here on the forum, it works great, but it has noticeably more highs than the Goodrich.

Recently needed a backup pedal and pulled an old Ernie Ball out of the closet. I was surprised how much I like it. I thought it would load down, but sounds fine. I’m interested in hearing from other players who have use this standard Ernie Ball volume pedal.

John

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 6:16 am    

John, I have used the Ernie Ball pedals with no issues. I have 3 of them, 4 Goodrich, 1 Dunlop and 1 Morley. I used the Dunlop and Morley for regular guitar work. Never had an issue with the Ernie Ball other than changing the string. I use a Goodrich buffer in front so no impedance problem. I need to change the jack location on the EB pedals and add a bracket for the steel. Haven't done that yet and use 90 degree cables to solve the front jack issue.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 6:16 am    

John, I have used the Ernie Ball pedals with no issues. I have 3 of them, 4 Goodrich, 1 Dunlop and 1 Morley. I used the Dunlop and Morley for regular guitar work. Never had an issue with the Ernie Ball other than changing the string. I use a Goodrich buffer in front so no impedance problem. I need to change the jack location on the EB pedals and add a bracket for the steel. Haven't done that yet and use 90 degree cables to solve the front jack issue.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 11:08 pm    

I use a Lehle 90. It’s the best. Isolated tuner out, as well as buffer, smooth operation, clean articulate and full sound.

I also bought the pedal steel bar mount for it. Took almost a month to arrive from Germany, but it’s a great accessory!

Buy with confidence!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 3:16 am    

I choose to support our own and use a Hilton volume pedal. I also have an old Goodrich 120 that the original AB pot lasted for many years. The Goodrich now has a new pot and I hate the way it works. But the Hilton has been my gigging volume pedal for 15 years. If I didn't have the Hilton, I would have a Telonics.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 8:15 am    

Jack,
You should try the new Goodrich OMNI, a heck of a pedal. Very Happy
Erv

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 9:53 am    

One more vote for the Lehle.
I am not as knowledgeable as Mr. Kimery (or anyone else for that matter) but I really like mine.
A virtually wear free system, adjustments are easily made, it absolutely does not
color the tone, jacks are all on the right side out of the way (on the Mono 90) and it is built like a tank.
I am very comfortable with it.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 10:58 am     Lehle volume pedal

There is Lehle, and then everything else. I have a Goodrich 120 for backup, I have had 2 Hiltons, an Omni, and tried out a Telonics. For me, Lehle is in a class all by itself.

You don't have to order them from Germany. I got mine from Bulldog in California, with a 30 day money back return policy. Other dealers have the same deal. You just have to make sure you get the model 90 for steel guitar. They are harder to find in the USA. I would think you could contact Lehle for US dealers. They might even be able to tell you who they ship the model 90 to.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 11:54 am    

I agree with George's evaluation of this pedal! Read the specs and reviews. The price is very reasonable.

The Lehle model 90 is the easiest thing in the world to find! 60 seconds on Google:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MonoVol--lehle-mono-volume-pedal?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3247037229&rkg_id=0&product_id=MonoVol&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Core%20-%20Guitars&adgroup=Guitars%20-%20Guitar%20Pedals%20&%20Effects&placement=google&adpos=1o2&creative=226299461168&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp7DiBRDdARIsABIMfoCZszunAfrSQ74kqyS8eGz2xqBFAQts2hJGyUkWtKWTQoBSB8OXChkaAp-YEALw_wcB

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/lehle-mono-volume-pedal/j48245000000000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp7DiBRDdARIsABIMfoD1kSXZdRqnm-hKyxbq3DfqDJ4OAPfM8yB1Ep7TVfmb7-vT_0C5_7caAh_gEALw_wcB

https://reverb.com/item/15030504-lehle-mono-volume-90?gclid=Cj0KCQiAp7DiBRDdARIsABIMfoDsWKTXKGDJxZrwWPS8L-FZdPcXaKiFBTWzBTL65ooj0Od1K2Avhi0aAov5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 1:08 pm     Lehle volume pedal

When I got mine, neither Sweetwater or Musicians Friend had the model 90. I just checked Greg's links and it is only showing the standard model with the jack's on the front. The 90 has the jacks on the side for steel, plus, you would not be able to use the pedal bar bracket if you get the standard model. I am not sure if has the tuner out either. They call it the 90 because the jacks are on the side, 90 degrees from the front of the pedal. The 90 lists for $299.00, the standard one $279.00 but by calling and doing a little negotiating,I got mine for $265.00, inc. shipping.[/b]

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 2:05 pm    

From Lehle:

The Lehle Mono Volume has the connections at the front, while the Lehle Mono Volume 90 has the connections at the side and an additional control for the minimum volume.

The one selling on Reverb.com (in my link posted above) does have the jacks on the right side and is a model 90!

"A premium Blackmer® VCA (= Voltage Controlled Amplifier) from the United States replaces the mechanical potentiometer. " Good old USA engineering in the heart of this pedal!

The VCA from THAT can be viewed here:

http://www.thatcorp.com/Blackmer_Voltage-Controlled_Amplifier_ICs.shtml

Mouser sells the Blackmer VCA's and they run $5 to $10 in single quantities :

https://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Amplifier-ICs/_/N-4frvm?Keyword=that+2181&FS=True

"In- and output jacks on the side of the pedal make the Lehle Mono Volume 90 an ideal device for pedal steel players – without any obstruction, the pedal can be placed in the usual spot on the pedal steel rack."

User manual can be seen here:

https://www.lehle.com/_data/products/Mono%20Volume%2090/Manual/Lehle-Mono-Volume-90-EN.pdf

Note that to some degree, the taper of the pedal can be adjusted:

"In the first section of the MIN Control range you can precisely change the curve in which the pedal reacts, whereas in the second section of the potentiometer the minimum level can be increased."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

David Donn

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 9:10 pm    

It's interesting that the jacks are in reverse order to "normal". I guess because that's how they are on the model with the jacks at the front? I suppose it's no big deal. Though I don't think I like the power right at the front. But then again, I don't like to have to power a volume pedal at all Smile