The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Switch
Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 10:54 am    

Those of you on Michael Nesmith's VIDEORANCH e-mail list may have seen this.
For those who didn't see it, this is in reference to a 6 date tour by Nesmith and Pete Finney, referencing the AND THE HITS JUST KEEP ON COMIN' album (which was a duo of Michael and Red Rhodes).
Use yer switch.....

Quote:

Here is a message from the stream. The show you are about to see is a show Red Rhodes and I put together in 1974 based loosely on the “Hits” album (And the Hits Just Keep On Comin’, 1972) we had just made. The record was different from the live show by a difference so subtle I hadn’t noticed, until night after night of playing, on one of those nights, we got airborne.

For me this music is the most fun to play especially when Red would hit the secret switch. Magic. Untethered to space and time. Riding the space unconfined.

Then, sadly Red was gone, and with him, his little secret switch. So it appeared that after the few shows we did in England, and a few in the States, the career of the First National Band would end. To say I wandered a few years is an embarrassing understatement -- but I did, always waiting for the little switch.

I found it after playing a short tour with Pete Finney. I found out he had the switch, too. Turns out, all steel-players do --- some use it, some don’t. The switch comes bound to the steel-player and then includes whatever instrument they are playing so the sound is unique to their musical swirl.

Come ride those swirls with Pete Finney and me and let him slide us away to this land and time where we all play.

Best,
Nez

2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.