The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jules' B11 tuning
Will Slack

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 9:16 am    

On my way to learning E13, I've gotten extremely sidetracked by the Jules Ah See B11 tuning--(low to hight) B,A,B,D#,F#,A,C#,E. I had associated it primarily with Hawaiian tunes, but it seems pretty versatile. I've actually been flatting the low A to Ab for a minor dyad down low (does this make the tuning a B13, technically?)

Well, I like the tuning enough to put a .070" string on for the low B. The problem I'm having is that the fatter string holds the bar away from the adjacent strings when playing near the nut. I have to remember to add a little downward pressure or I get some buzzing. Is this normal for this tuning? I'm playing a fender deluxe 8, by the way.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 9:32 am    

The buzz is coming from the fact that the top of the strings aren't planer which is exacerbated by the fat low string. It is less of an issue the further up the next you go. But at the nut, you are really going to have to press hard, which can also put you out of tune.

Will Slack

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 9:36 am    

Thanks for the reply Bill. The low B sounds much better with the fatter (.070) string, but I don't play the low string nearly as much as all others. Wondering if I should go with a lighter gauge low B string as a compromise.

Frank Welsh

Upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 10:23 am    

I use a .068 string for the low B on the B11th tuning on my Remington Steelmaster and I have the same problem. I have learned to live with it by being very careful when I use the bar on the first fret because of the added height of that fat 8th B string. I happen to use an F# for my seventh string so there isn't as much of a drastic height difference between the seventh and eighth strings.

I am absolutely reluctant to take a file to the beautifully machined nut of the Remington to lower the fat B string...perhaps I would do this on a cheap guitar, but not my Remy.

I hope this helps somewhat.

I find B11th to be an indispensable tuning not only for Hawaiian, but for standards and especially jazz-flavored tunes. You are right - it is very versatile and a great companion to a C13th tuning if you have a double neck (puts you right there with "Hawaii Calls").

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2018 6:59 am    

I had Jimmie Hudson make me a couple custom nuts for a Stringmaster where I had the same problem. I use the same tuning but have the 7th string at F# for a fifth instead of b7. They work great and I can keep the originals unmodified.

Whether that works for you probably hinges on whether or not you have a early "trapezoid pickup" style Deluxe 8 or the Stringmaster type. I gather the trap/Dual Pro style have a built in nut on the tuner pan?

Will Slack

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2018 8:28 am    

I actually have the tuning on my Dual Pro (trap pickups and one-piece steel nut/tuner pan), so I'd have to file into the nut, and I'm not ready to do that yet. I may switch the 7th string back to F# from it's current Ab, but so far a little downward pressure is doing the trick, I think.