The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A & C Pedal 5th String
William Kendrick

Bedford Heights, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2018 7:21 am    

Merry Christmas, everyone. Here is my dilemna of the day. When I tune my 5th string, the C pedal pulls the string sharper than the A pedal. B note is 439.5, C# on the A pedal is 436.0, C# on the C pedal is 442.0. My BC minor sounds like garbage. Not knowing the mechanics underneath that well, anyone have an idea where I should begin? Thanks. Bill.
1979 Emmons D-10 P/P 8X5, Lawrence L-710 Pickups, Li'l Izzy, Telonics Volume Pedal, Goodrich Super Sustain Matchbox, Lexicon MX200 Dual Reverb Effects Processor, Peavey Vegas 400 Amplifier with BW Speaker.

William Kendrick

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2018 8:16 am    

I should also mention that this is a 1979 Emmons Push-Pull.
1979 Emmons D-10 P/P 8X5, Lawrence L-710 Pickups, Li'l Izzy, Telonics Volume Pedal, Goodrich Super Sustain Matchbox, Lexicon MX200 Dual Reverb Effects Processor, Peavey Vegas 400 Amplifier with BW Speaker.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2018 8:26 am    

Move the collar on the A pedal 5th string just a titch closer to the bellcrank.

William Kendrick

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2018 8:51 am    

Thank you, Jim.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2018 10:09 am    

All pulls including the C and A pedals should pull the target string(s) raise fingers up against the cabinet and the pedal and lever stops should be set to engage just a titch after the fingers hit the cabinet in order to avoid excess pressure placed on the linkage. The exceptions are partial string raises such as the E-F raise on the 4th string where 1/2 tone tuners are used. In general short shock springs are used only on the string pulls requiring less travel such as the 10th string A pedal or 6th string B pedal. This obviously depends on how the pulls are setup on the changer to compensate for the disparity of travel length. Remember to engage lowers on strings that require both lowers and raises while setting up the raise collars or the lowers won't work. Your mileage my vary.