The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with a ZB Custom
Bob Reese

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 11:33 am    

I bought an older ZB custom about a year ago and have had an issue with travel on the B pedal. When the six string is in tune, I only get about 1/4 inch of travel with the pedal to get the raise in tune. Both of the other pedals have enough travel and are working correctly. The guitar was a mess under the hood. I decided to re-rod it yesterday and clean up the mess. someone had rigged quite a few of the rod captures and the knee lever linkage. I have started back with the pedal linkage and am very happy with the way the A and C pedals are operating. The B lever still has the original problem. Almost no travel when tuning the raise on the six string. If I back the six string adjustment out, the three string works as it should. It has to be some adjustment on the changer, but I cant seem to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 6:59 pm    

Bob,

Can you post a picture of the underside? I know Greg Jones has an eye for what is wrong and can probably give you some advice. Or, email him a picture directly. Zbmul65@aol.com

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 5:58 am    

Strings 3 and 6 should be connected to the B pedal via a swiveling yoke.
When the pedal is activated, one of the strings will bottom out on the endplate, the pedal continues its travel, the yoke swivels, until the other string bottoms out on the endplate.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 9:21 am    

kinda like this, but the yoke & rods should go underneath the cross bars. Turnbuckles are at the changer end.

Bob Reese

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2019 5:36 am     ZB Custom

Richard, Eric.
Thank you. I think this is the issue. When I disassembled the undercarriage the rods were not in yokes as shown in the picture. The yokes were used to capture the rods in the swivel plate. I will assemble it as per the picture and update.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Bob

Bob Reese

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2019 5:38 am    

One other quick question. Is there a spacer or bushing between the swiveling plate and the guitar body?

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2019 2:05 pm    

There is no washer or spacer. Thread the bolt so that there is enough space for the rods & no friction.
Just to be clear, the rods should be underneath the cross bars, like in these A & B pedals below. I usually assemble them on the top & get everything adjusted. (turnbuckles & balance the pulls)
Then I unscrew the bolt & move them to the bottom.