The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Red Rhodes live performances
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 5:02 am    

There was a review of the recording, 'Pacific Steel Company' featured in the September '79 issue of Tom Bradshaw's 'Steel Guitarist' magazine. The album included tunes by Tom Brumley, Al Perkins, Sneaky Pete and Red. Would prefer not to directly quote any portion of the article without express permission, but will mention that it was far from complimentary regarding Red's performance.

Jerry Pack

Modesto, Ca USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2019 10:10 am     Red Rhodes

Joe,
Thanks for posting the SUPER video.
Jerry Pack

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 6:53 am    

Michael Nesmith has been preparing the release of a concert from 1973 of Red playing with Nez in L.A.. It has been in the pipeline for a while; I've been listening to an advance copy, and Red's in top form and really featured throughout. It's billed as "Michael Nesmith with Red Rhodes" and titled "Cosmic Partners," which tells you all you need to know about how much Nez thinks of Red's contribution to his music.

It's being released by a British label, and because that makes it an import over here it's gonna be pretty pricey, I think.

Last edited by Pete Finney on 8 Oct 2019 8:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 11:25 am    

Pete, that makes me really happy! Thanks, brother. 😊

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Kyd Brenner

Washington, DC/Harman WV
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 1:15 pm    

Pete - thanks for calling this album to our attention - hadn't seen it, have just put myself on the waiting list for the vinyl. Who else could write such a great line as 'lost the light, moving thru the night, running from the grand ennui' and punctuate it with the great Red!

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 5:45 pm    

Sounds like a wonderful recording. Thanks for posting Pete.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2019 2:39 pm    

Geez, wish I still lived in CA. Pete Finney playing with the Nez, live in concert Oct 3rd! Gonna be some great stuff being put out by these lads. Thanks for posting Pete.

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 12:32 pm    

Thanks Pete, this sounds awesome, just ordered the vinyl! Very Happy

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2019 2:51 pm    

Pete Finney wrote:
Michael Nesmith has been preparing the release of a concert from 1973 of Red playing with Nez in L.A.. It has been in the pipeline for a while; I've been listening to an advance copy, and Red's in top form and really featured throughout. It's billed as "Michael Nesmith with Red Rhodes" and titled "Cosmic Partners," which tells you all you need to know about how much Nez thinks of Red's contribution to his music.

Here's the recent announcement of its release. It's being released by a British label, and because that makes it an import over here it's gonna be pretty pricey, I think.

https://www.monkeeslivealmanac.com/blog/category/michael%20nesmith

Early last year, Nez/Red fans first learned that this show even existed - I've been eagerly awaiting this to come out in some form or fashion ever since. The performance comes about 8 months after Red's solo album "Velvet Hammer in a Cowboy Band" was recorded, and the rhythm section is Colin Cameron and David Lane who backed him on that record. Nez and Red did two shows (back-to-back nights) at McCabe's in Santa Monica. This release comprises the 2nd night.

Considering this is the first professionally recorded show from the 1970s with Red Rhodes to surface, this is truly a "holy grail" for Nesmith fans, Red Rhodes fans, country-rock fans....

I was honored to write liner notes to this release, which comprised a full bio on Red with tremendous help from his then-wife Dana Rhodes.

Fun tidbits - Dana says McCabe's was her favorite place to watch Red play. Dana's favorite song that Red did was Bobby Garrett's "Rose City Chimes" - and Red did that one for the concert along with two other steel instrumentals, "The Crippled Lion" and "Poinciana" from the Velvet Hammer album.