The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hand exercise gizmo
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 4:46 pm    

I have been using this hand exerciser squeezer gizmo most everyday. I feel it helps me hold and manipulate the bar easier. Also helps with the attack on my picking hand. I remember Doug Jernigan mentioned some people squeeze a rubber ball.

Anyone have a hand exercise gizmo that helps them?

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 2:29 am    

Len,I have a set of these,After my stroke in 2011 my cousin sent me a pair and I do at least 100 reps at a time ,they've made my hands much stronger and have been a big help in my coming back!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2018 5:24 am    

I like to take 2 golf balls and rotate them around each other in the palm of my hand. Clockwise then counter, over the top and back, etc. without dropping them. Really works out your forearms as well as your fingers. I also like to use a softer cover ball which is a little easier to hold on to. This sure helps my right hand. You’ll feel a difference.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2018 10:18 am    

This thing is pretty cool. http://www.accessories.daddario.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=509&productname=Dynaflex

You pull the string through to get it going, then by rotating your wrist slightly you can sort of ride the gyroscope effect to keep it going indefinitely. Fun to use, and works all the different in between muscles in your hand, wrist, and forearm.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2018 8:09 pm    

I have a one of those Dyna Flex units. You have to develop a bit of technique to use it but it gives your forearms and wrists a heck of a workout. It was recommended to me by a golfer. I stink at golf. I’m going to look for that thing and start using it again.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2018 7:50 am    

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-planet-waves-varigrip-hand-exerciser

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2018 12:55 am    

Brett,I used to have a "Dynaflex"and it was awesome,Lost it when I moved from Alaska...thanks again for the strings!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2018 1:20 am    

I have used a pair of hand exercisers similar to Len's during workouts for a long time. But in the last year, both of them broke, one a few months after the other. Metal fatigue. Gotta get some new ones.

I think they help me keep my hands limber. But I need to be a little careful not to overdo it. It's pretty easy to go crazy and do hundreds of reps while working out, but I almost always regret it. A moderate amount limbers things up and helps the light arthritis in my thumbs, but too much can aggravate it.

I had one of the 4-finger things like in Richard's link - got it probably 30 years ago, I think it was called a "Riff Grip" then. I found it useful for my guitar left fretting hand, also of some use for the right picking hand. It may be lying around somewhere, but I haven't seen it in a long time.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2018 8:20 am    

The one I mentioned is good for me. My hand and arm issues mean I have trouble controlling my fingers. Add the physical problems with a mild stroke I had, some of my fingers are weaker than the others. This unit allows me to increase the tension on certain fingers.

I am one who tucks my ring finger under my palm. I can tuck my finger along side the excersizer and just use my index and middle finger (with bad trigger finger), and do picking exercises (minus the thumb). To strengthen the thumb, I place my thumb on a plunger and use it that way.

It's also great for the left hand.