The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Brake Cleaner & Aluminum
Jeff Savage

Fort Covington, NY,
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2019 4:46 pm    

Going to take my Emmons apart in a few days to fix the changer finger and I thought that as long as I have it apart I might as well clean the whole changer and I was wondering if it is ok to soak the parts in brake cleaner or not...is there anything else that would be safer and do a better job...I just want to make sure I don't ruin anything...Thanks.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2019 5:00 pm    

Brake cleaner is safe on any metal, its not corrosive...
It might soften nylon or plastic, so be sure you don't hit any plastic or paint,, Any metals are fine ,,, bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2019 6:55 pm    

I regularly clean greasy, dirty aluminum parts with it. It works great.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2019 7:21 pm     Brake cleaner and alumnium

Cleaning aluminum, Stay away from anything that contains Caustic Soda. It will etch and eat bare aluminum.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2019 8:24 pm    

Brake cleaner is dangerous stuff and not really appropriate for cleaning steel parts.

I suggest using only naphtha - Ronson lighter fluid (not charcoal lighter) is naphtha with some deodorizer and colorant.

It's safer than any other solvents, especially on plastics and lacquer finishes; it also works great for removing sticker gunk. And it leaves no residue of any kind.

Brake cleaner contains acetone and toluene - both will melt most plastics and wreck all lacquer finishes in a matter of seconds.

Brake cleaner is also VERY flammable, noxious and should only be used if wearing a cartridge-type respirator and chemical resistant gloves.

It's always best to read the MSDS sheet sheet before using ANY solvent, and if you don't understand it ask someone in contractor-oriented paint store who does, or call the packager.

Brake cleaner is nasty stuff and as wrong for the job as WD-40 - just in different ways.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2019 1:24 am    

brake cleaner always turns my aluminum motorcycle parts a dusky white. it is not what i'd soak my endplates or changer parts in. i use carb cleaner, and have used clr.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2019 4:52 am    

I agree, brake cleaner is hazardous and bad for polished aluminum, and I wouldn't use it.

Naphtha is good, but if you're using a large amount (more than a couple of ounces), use it outdoors, as the fumes are highly flammable.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2019 5:58 am    

+1 for carburetor cleaner (in a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors)

Jeff Savage

Fort Covington, NY,
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2019 8:17 am     Brake Cleaner & Aluminum

Thanks for all the help, definitly not going to use the brake cleaner, think i'll use either carb cleaner or Ronson lighter fluid.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2019 8:35 am    

Tony Glassman wrote:
+1 for carburetor cleaner (in a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors)

+1+1

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2019 1:21 am    

Get carb cleaner on paint,or plastic and it will turn into ooze that runs onto the floor... Brake cleaner is used on precision aluminum parts all over the world with no ill effect.. Expensive small parts in machinery, auto and truck applications, guns, etc.. what do you think we cleaned the block, heads, pistons, aluminum disc brake calipers with.. Brake clean.. Years ago before we replaced them, brake calipers were rebuilt. We cleaned the interiors passages and piston bores with brake clean.. Same with the aluminum caliper pistons.. Brake clean.. Tubes in power steering racks,, cleaned with brake clean...

that was accepted procedure by the manufacturers, to clean the internal parts for brakes and steering that cause deadly accidents if they ever fail with brake cleaner.. It does not now nor has it ever hurt aluminum parts.. it simply cleans them,, It does not interact in any way.. Non Chlorinated brake cleaner which is very common today is basically the same as carb cleaner anyway, but melts anything non metal just as carb cleaner does..

plain old style chlorinated brake cleaner has been used on small precision aluminum parts for many decades..
Neither one will do any damage to aluminum in any way.

if it won't hurt the tiny aluminum parts in a brake master cylinder or rear brake wheel cylinder, it won't hurt your changer fingers... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 27 Mar 2019 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2019 3:14 am    

This was carb cleaner and a buffing wheel. There are always several right ways to do a job imho...

Cheers
Mike

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2019 4:11 am    

What Bob C. said. I spent nearly 30 yrs. in the auto repair business. We used spray brake cleaner on many metal parts other than brake parts.

There are differences in carb cleaners. The liquid kind that you soak parts in and the spray can kind. I can tell you first hand that the spray can kind is much nastier than the spray brake cleaner.

It will destroy, melt polycarbonates and other materials beyond any repair even moreso than brake cleaner.

CRC corp is a large maker of both of these spray cleaners, besides other things.

You can read their safety sheets, etc. here and decide for your self. You may have to poke around the site to find the tech specs etc.
https://www.crcindustries.com/products/clean-r-carb-8482-carburetor-cleaner-16-wt-oz-05081.html

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/brakleen-174-pro-series-brake-parts-cleaner-non-flammable-29-wt-oz-05089PS.html