The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel guitars that hold their tuning
Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 1:44 pm    

Maybe I am opening a can of worms, but I am curious with all the steel guitars out there, which guitars seem to hold their tuning the best. I played out of Nashville for 12 years and played numerous guitars. Some stayed in tune really well, and others needed constant attention. I played Sho-bud, Emmons, Marlen, Mullen guitars, tried Franklin, Dekley and some other less known guitars. I know there are a lot of variables, but I am wondering what other pickers experiences have been. I will say that the best guitar I ever had for staying in tune was a Pro-II. All the other guitars I have played were decent, but the worst was a Speedy West guitar built by Marlen. I do love the Emmons guitars though, but they have varied in tuning stability too. I might add that I don't have any experience with Zum steels.
(Sorry Tommy Detamore)

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 2:28 pm    

Ill have to say that my Derby D10 is excellent for holding a tune. Charlie told me before I bought it that the cabinet drop was almost non existent and that you can tune it once every gig and play all night in tune. He was almost 100% correct. I hardly ever have to touch up the pedals or Levers , they stay in tune.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 3:26 pm    

I am continually impressed by my Sierra Sessions for staying in tune, often right out of the case.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 3:37 pm    

I've been playing a Mullen G2 for around 6 years. Holds tuning great even between gigs. rarely have to tune pedals and levers.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 4:36 pm    

A well set up pushpull is rock-steady when it comes to holding its tuning. I rarely need to do anything more than tweak the tuning keys after set-up.

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 5:05 pm    

Ditto Tony's comments.

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 5:14 pm     Intune

I have had great results with Emmons push pulls and LeGrande guitars. One important factor is to let the guitar acclimate to room temperature before playing if possible. John Hughey used a hair dryer on his.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 5:45 pm    

I am playing a Sho Bud Super Pro with metal necks that does a great job of staying in tune.

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 6:28 pm    

Ditto Derby.

Whip Lashaway

Monterey, Tenn, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 6:51 pm     tuning

I have had 2 Sierra's, S14 and S12, and tuning was simply checking it for the most part. Only thing that ever really effected them was pretty extreme temperatures. But if I had time to let them sit in the venue, if indoors, they both would come right back into tune. I rarely ever broke a string either. After several weeks I would notice the strings begin to...hard to put in words....it would become more difficult to hit a harmonic...then I knew it was time to change the strings.
I recently acquired 2 EXCEL S12's. They both seem to be pretty much like the Sierra's. I haven't had either of them out on the road yet but gotta say I love em!!!
BTW I should mention that I put the strings thru the paces too. My Sierra's are 8x8 and my EXCEL's are 8x9
Excel S12 8x9 blue
Excel S12 8x9 black

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 10:50 pm    

My Excel D10 is actually amazing in that regard: I check it every time of course, but rarely have to tweak it:

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 11:02 pm    

My push/pull is very stable.

Colin Goss

St.Brelade, Island of Jersey, Channel Islands, UK
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 12:32 am     Holding tuning

Nothing beats an Anapeg

Anapeg -> Peavey Transtubefex - > Peavey CX200 -> pair Peavey 112 BW speakers

Roy Peterman

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 3:09 am    

I would add (I forgot, must be an age thing) that I did have a Derby for a number of years after I moved back from Tennessee. It stayed in tune pretty well, on a par with the Legrandes I have had. Sold it to a friend of mine. Good guitar. I appreciate the replies, and am curious about the Mullen G2 guitars and their tuning stability. Up in this neck of the woods I don't know anyone that has one to try, and what are their experiences with that particular guitar. Thanks everyone.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 3:23 am    

This holds its tuning well, even with quite large temperature swings…

… but the old Dekley is anything but original so I guess it doesn't count.

Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 4:30 am    

A number of years ago I bought a Mullen from someone in TX. When he shipped it to me is still had a Michigan address showing on the box and it whet back to that address. They of course shipped it back to TX they then reshipped it to me in KS. When I unpacked the guitar it was still in tune enough to be played. Not saying it was perfect but I was amazed how well it maintained it's tuning through all that shipping.

Roy Peterman

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 4:46 am    

Dave, the Mullen I had some years ago was a PRP. It held its tuning fairly well, but was about average compared to the other steel guitars I have had. Georg, your Dekley is certainly not "run of the mill" LOL! I have seen some of your posts on modifications you made to it. Thanks for your responses.

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 5:36 am    

My G2 stays in tune amazingly well. I rarely have to tune it. When I do, its just tweaking. Great guitar.

Craig

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 5:42 am    

I've never had a steel that didn't hold the tuning after new strings settle in.

If someone is having problems staying in tune its usually a string problem. Either old worn out strings or crappy new strings.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 6:48 am    

My Justice Pro Lite is very stable, hardly needs to be tuned at all and I play out once a week.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 6:52 am    

Ditto Derby and Push/Pull. My Rittenberry also stays in tune very well.

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 7:40 am    

MY guitar stays in tune the best!! Laughing
"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent."

— Steve Martin

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 7:44 am    

I haven't had the problem, but I can't say as to different brands. (I haven't really owned that many.) However, I do think that a lot of the problems some players have with staying in-tune is with the players themselves, and not with their guitars. I make this observation because amateurs seem to have far more problems with this than the pros, regardless of the brand they're playing.

Roy Peterman

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 8:29 am    

Donny, I probably should clarify as to what I mean "staying in tune". I am a stickler for playing in tune, so if I have to tweak a string here and there, that is the norm. I have had as I said in earlier posts that some guitars needed more tweaking than others. I do have compensators on my Legrande which help quite a bit. I would say that some amateur players have problems pitching (hearing) and intonation problems.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 8:38 am    

I've had a ZB, an MSA Classic, Emmons PP, Mullen RP and two Excels, and honestly, I'm surprised that they all never really changed tuning that much.

Maybe with major temp swings, but they always at least stayed in tune with themselves.

Even more incredible, I have a 2008 Martin D-18 Authentic, I literally never tune it. It sits out on a stand, or in the case, or hot or cold in the house.. Humidity? it sounds different, but still in tune.

My Custom Shop Gibson Electrics are always out of tune. No idea why.

But all the steels I've had have been pretty solid.