The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Players In Asheville, NC
Paul Carestia

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 6:20 pm    

If I wanted to listen to some of the best pedal steel players in Asheville, NC, who are they?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 7:51 pm    

hands down Lynn Netherton, although I don't think he's playing out much these days. others include myself, Tom Pittman, Matt Smith, Jackson Dulaney, John James Tourville, Scott Sharpe, Jed Willis, Casey Saulpaugh, Larry Weaver, Christian Funk, Marty Lewis, Joel Jackson and I'm sure a few others I'm forgetting...

drop me a line when you're in town and I'll try to point you in the right direction!

Last edited by scott murray on 1 Jan 2019 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stephen Silver

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 9:31 am    

Hi Scott. Sounds like a whole bunch of folks playing steel in Asheville. That's awesome. We were just in town, managed to get stuck in the storm but did make the Christmas Jam on Saturday. We are moving from Oakland to Asheville in the spring and looking forward to meeting some of the musicians in town. I will message you then.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 2:33 pm     Steel players in Asheville, NC

I play in Asheville quiet often at Bob Pressley's Old Home Place in Mills River, near the airport. Also, I am just a little over an hour away in East TN.

I'll 2nd Lynn Netherton, but he hasn't been able to play for a while due to side effects of cancer treatments. Excellent player with his own style. Lynn is one of the best kept secrets in steel. He toured with Clinton Gregory, so that gives you an idea of his caliber. Try to meet him if at all possible.

Also there is an excellent fiddle player named Joe ?. (I can't remember his last name right now.) I have played with him a few times and have really enjoyed it.

Last edited by George Kimery on 19 Dec 2018 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 6:53 pm    

Gary Mackey is probably my favorite fiddler in town, he's been around the block a time or 2.

Lynn is a genius far as I can tell. he designed and built his own steel, which is totally unique from any other all-pull on the market. it's a brilliant design, but he has no plans to patent it. that's a real shame because it's superior in many ways.

it's also a shame Lynn is not more well-known. he can play just about anything on either neck and his tone is to die for.

I wish him all the best in his fight to regain his health, and I sincerely hope he has many more years of pickin in him. and hopefully a bit more recognition. I can't say enough about the guy

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 11:41 pm    

had the good fortune of seeing and hearing Lynn a couple nights ago, it just doesn't get any better. great to see him out playing and sounding so good

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 12:19 am    

Scott Murray said:

[/quote]Gary Mackey is probably my favorite fiddler in town, he's been around the block a time or 2.quote]

Gary came to Charlotte last year with Russ Wilson and I got to play with him. He's an absolutely killer fiddler. Do you know Russ as well? I've been playing with him since the 90s - one of the best (probably the best at his "thing"), and most unique drummers you'll ever hear. [/quote]

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 5:55 am     Asheville, NC steel players

I will be playing Friday night, beginning at 7 P.M. at Bob Pressleys Old Home Place in Mills River. Family friendly and easy to find. Exit 40 off I-26 (airport exit) go past the airport, then to Ingles and turn right on Mills River Rd. Straight ahead about 4 miles on the right.

Stephen Harnois

Wells, Maine
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 8:59 am     Asheville Steel Players

Scott, you forgot your 'ol pal Steve!? Just kidding, more of a steel owner at this point, Thanksgiving marked my third year of the quest. Maybe in another 3 I can call myself a player?! Good luck on your move in the spring, give us a shout when you get here.

Gerry Brown

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 9:09 am     Asheville players

Although I would not presume to include myself among the best players in Asheville, I do play steel and I do live in Asheville. It's a revelation to me to see so many steel players around here that I never knew about. I gotta get out more.

Gerry Brown

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 9:18 am     Re: Steel players in Asheville, NC

George Kimery wrote:

Joe Ebel, maybe?

Also there is an excellent fiddle player named Joe ?. (I can't remember his last name right now.) I have played with him a few times and have really enjoyed it.

Joel Jackson

Detroit
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 5:02 pm    

Lots of great steel playing here in Asheville. Always a pleasure to see any of the players on Scott's list!