The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics 206 vs BL 705
Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 8:22 am    

Looking for a pup for a new Mullen G2 lacquer w/ wood neck. Would love to hear a comparison between these two pups. I have experience with the BL 705 (and really like it in my '74 LDG), but would like to hear COMPARISONS from people that have had BOTH.
Thanks! Smile

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 4:59 pm    

I’ve had both. I prefer them in this order...

1. Original “chrome ring” 705
2. Telonics 206
3. Current 705 offering.

I’d no problem with using any of the three.

Dave Meis

Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 7:11 pm    

Thanks Justin.. appreciate you sharing your experience! Smile. I've really enjoyed the BL 705 and I'm trying to decide if the 206 is 'head and shoulders' above it.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 1:12 am    

Dave,I have a lacquer wood neck G2 with 206 pickups,Love them however I'm no help in the Lawrence part of the question...sorry.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Dave Meis

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 3:53 am    

Thanks Stu! I saw your post in the other discussion and was going to contact you. Just last night I rewired the 705 in my ‘Bud to give me single coil options, and it really sounds good in that mode as well.. unlike some others I’ve tried ! I’ve always preferred SC to HB, but some of the places I play really need a HB! Smile Which brings me to ask: can the 206 be split?
My Mullen will (hopefully!) be done in January, so I’ve got some decisions to make! Smile It’s good info that the 206 sounds good w/ a lacquer, wood neck guitar! Thanks again for posting!

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 4:14 am    

I do not think you can split the 206. There are only two wires coming out. You might call Stacey or Dave at Telonics and ask them. If it’s feasible, they will bend over backwards to help you.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 5:46 am    

Hi Dave,
I have had a G2 for a couple of years (wonderful guitar) and have had both a 705 (reissue and a 206 Telonics in it until recently. It originally had a True Tone 18.5 ohm. when I bought the guitar.
I put the 705 in when I first got the guitar, it was pretty good, but had a shrill high end that I did not care for. I could not dial it off with the amp (Peavey NV112 with Telonics speaker) After about a year of fighting it, I put a Telonis 206 it was a little smoother and also a little darker. Be aware that the 206 requires removing the spacers under the pickup and shorter screws as the pickup is mounted not on the body but on an aluminum plate under the pickup. The 705 was a little easier to mount. The 206 has been in the guitar for approx. a year and was my preference until recently. I asked Mike @ Mullen to wind me a pickup at 28 ohms. which he did and sent it to me. It has made a total difference in the way the guitar sounds. It is smooth across the strings, plenty of separation, and the higher strings have tons of body. No shrill in this pickup. In my opinion, it made the G2 have more tone all the way through the strings and higher up the neck, it has more of a fuller sound overall. I actually cannot believe the difference. Even our sound man made comments on how big the sound was. Have fun, enjoy that G2, it truly is a Rolls Royce!

Dave Meis

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 11:32 am    

@ Justin: thanks for that! I've heard nothing but good stuff about working with Dave at Telonics, and a call to them may be in order!

@ Roy: I'm only assuming that the pup Mike wound for you is a single coil? IF so, I'm not surprised that it sounds better! Smile. I really prefer SC's in the main, but I really like playing out in 'dive' bars, where the sound can be problematic (if you know what I mean!). Smile Now that I've set up the 705 with the coil splits and have been pretty impressed ( given the short time I've played it!), I could certainly live with it as a compromise. The other factor is: I have a nice pile of other pickups that I've accumulated over the years (both SC and HB), so swapping one out could be easily done at a later date. Boy! Talk about 'First World Problems'! Smile I'd only become aware of the 206 recently, and since I have a choice of pickups on my new guitar, I wanted to research them by talking with people that had actually USED them. I really appreciate your input, and, yes, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on my new G2!! Smile

I'd also like to publicly thank the people that have contacted me through PM and those that have responded to my private inquiries! What a great place this forum is!

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 1:47 am    

Dave,I suggest that you call Dave Beatty at Telonics to see if a 206 can be split?Dave Beatty is a good guy,and a player,After living in Anchorage Alaska for 30 something years I couldn't deal with S.C pickups old wiring most places neon lights etc,As far as wood necks on my G2 most excellent.My regular email is sturoomers@gmail.com
Be well,Merry Christmas Stu
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.