The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need chord name
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 10:09 am    

I've been working on Aura Lee (Love Me Tender) and have found a chord voicing that seems to fit on the "sweet" word in " love me sweet". But the neither the guitar player nor I know what the chord is called. I know, I should have learned theory. Btw, this is supposedly a Buddy Emmons instrumental that I got off Youtube several years ago.
Okay, I play it in 'C', so if I'm on the 8th fret with A and B pedals held down and I engage right knee left lowering the 'A'note to 'G' and play strings 6,5,4, what is that chord?
I use the same configuration in the next line, but two frets down. It's not often that use the G lever in that context.

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 12:22 pm    

I wish I could help, Bill, but I'm having trouble interpreting your explanation of positions.

>> if I'm on the 8th fret with A and B pedals held down and I engage right knee left lowering the 'A'note to 'G' and play strings 6,5,4

At the 8th fret, the A note would be on your 5th string with the A pedal. In order to lower it to G, you'd just get rid of the A pedal. I don't know what your RKL does.
In the key of C, the chord at that point in the song would be a D7 chord.
All the best,
- John

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 1:01 pm    

Not sure of your explanation, but I believe you are hitting a f 9th chord.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 1:52 pm    

Bill,
I think you're right. Very Happy
Erv

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 2:05 pm    

Sounds like an augminished E# 17 chord to me, but your explanation is not clear. Knowing specifically what your lever actually does (what string/interval/split etc.) would make the answer simple and keep everyone from just guessing in the meantime.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 3:30 pm    

Yes, sorry. Firstly, my RKL raises the first string F# to G# and on the sixth string it's a split...G# to F# by itself, or G# to G with the 'B' pedal down. This refers to the open position.
So now I have the bar at the eighth fret. Both A and B pedals are down and I engage the RKL at the same time. I voice strings 6,5,and 4 only but strings 8 and 3 seem correct as a part of that chord.
It would probably help if you were listening to what Mr. Emmons was doing there. What Im hitting sounds correct to me but I could be a mile off.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 3:35 pm    

then 6-5-4 is a diminished triad, A-C-Eb, with Eb on the bottom. Basically F7 without the root.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 3:49 pm    

John Steele wrote:
I wish I could help, Bill, but I'm having trouble interpreting your explanation of positions.

- John

Well, welcome back John Steele! You've been away far too long. Don't be a stranger, now, y'hear?

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 4:39 pm    

Here's another reason I've got some of you confused, I just looked up the lyrics and the phrase I'm chewing on is:
"Love me tender, love me true"
...key of C with the chord in question on the word 'true'. I hear Buddy hit four chords in that passage with the fourth one being the trouble maker for me.
If it's F7 without the root then I guess the guitar player can just play F7 over what I lay down?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 4:48 pm    

Bill Miller wrote:
If it's F7 without the root then I guess the guitar player can just play F7 over what I lay down?

Well, if it's an F7 chord, he/she can just play "F". (Adding the 7th will be up to you.) But I think if you're in the key of C and you're on the lyric "true", you should probably be playing a D7 (or D9)...

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 5:32 pm    

still just guessing here... if you can post a youtube link or something of the passage it would illuminate things.

Here is Elvis (in key of D, a bit sharp):https://youtu.be/093GjYcDg-4?t=26. The chord at the word "true" is a I7 (phrase is I-III7-vi7-I7, leading to IV-iv-I). In the key of C that would be: C-E7-Am-C7(on "true"), F-Fm-C(on "fulfill"). Are you sure you're in "C"?

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 6:51 pm    

I've made a mess of this right from the get go. It is in 'F' not 'C'.
I tried to find the Buddy Emmons instrumental on Youtube but it isn't up anymore. It certainly would be helpful if you could hear what he was doing with it. There's a modulation where a Fender Rhodes takes a ride. It's really a very pretty arrangement.

Last edited by Bill Miller on 13 Dec 2018 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 6:59 pm    

[Redacted to protect the innocent]

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 12 Dec 2018 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 7:05 pm    

I think Ian's got it. I7. Knowing now that you're in F, and that your lever is a whole tone lower on string 6, and you're not playing a push=pull... Smile then it can safely be called F7.
I thought, by the lyric, that you meant the second chord in the song (in the second measure) but I think you mean in the 10th measure (?)
Howdy Jim - just jumping in to help another Canuck. I'll try to speak up more often - I hope things are great with you !
- John

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 4:34 am    

Thanks everyone, I guess we can wrap up this wild goose chase. ..or being so close to the holidays perhaps a wild turkey chase.

Alan Cannell

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 6:02 am    

Just to save confusion , it’s on Buddy’s “One For The Road” album and is called Aura Lee , which is the correct title. Elvis nicked the melody and put lyrics to it ☹️