The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Extended E9
Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2018 7:43 pm    

Do any of the Extended E9 S-12 players here also regularly play an S-10? I’m interested in getting into extended E9 (not universal) but the main thing keeping me on the fence is whether or not it’s easy to go back and forth between 10 and 12 strings based on the project or genre. I know there are a ton of threads here that discuss extended E9 but I haven’t been able to dig up this specific info.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2018 10:25 pm    

I find it very difficult to play 10 string.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 5:37 am    

I still like the notion of 12-string 'extended' E9th and I did, at one point, acquire a 12-string Mullen so I could tinker around on it.

For me it was a failed experiment because of my work commitments; switching between 10 and 12 strings played havoc with my 'grips' and I decided to abandon the idea.

Now I'm semi-retired, though, I wouldn't be averse to trying again.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 8:09 am    

Like Roger, I also tried the extended E-9th tuning.
I was so used to just laying my hand down and finding the grips on the regular 10 string neck that I soon gave up on the 12 string neck.
it's unfortunate because I was really looking forward to the lower strings available with the extended E-9th tuning.
Erv

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 8:40 am    

I’m really interested in this topic as well....

I started playing psg a few months ago, and am really really liking it. I bought an S10, and am quickly realizing that I am wanting an SD10 to help support my wrists.....which led me down the rabbit hole and got me thinking that maybe I should try an Extended E9.....

I like the idea of having those lower strings, but am wondering if people who have made the switch miss having that D on the 9th string? I find that D useful for dominant chords, diminished chords, as well as minor chords...

Can any of you extended E9 players talk a bit about how you get around not having that minor 7th on string 9?

Thanks!

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 8:49 am    

Thanks for your insight, guys. This is what I was afraid of. At the risk of a pretty expensive experiment, I'm leaning towards staying in the S-10 world.

Charley, Extended E9 just adds two lower strings (E and G#). The 9th string remains the same. It sounds like you're confusing this with Universal 12-string tuning.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 8:50 am    

The 9th string question is a recurring theme. I did not, and would not, do without it. I don't want to have to have a knee lever engaged whenever I want the 9th to be the root of the chord.

I would have G# and E on strings 11 and 12.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 8:54 am    

Like Earnest, I can't switch to a 10 string neck. 12-string E9 for ever I guess.

But it's a great tuning. As Roger suggests, I have G# and E on 11 and 12. And my E to F lever sends the low E down to C#.

Chris

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 9:07 am    

That's a clever idea, Chris.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 10:12 am    

This discussion is pretty much solidifying my decision to go from S10 to SD12....

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 10:14 am    

Do you find that the lower strings on an s12 interfere with the bass frequencies in a band?

In the groups that I play in (guitar not steel) we pretty much have an unspoken rule that root notes belong to the bass player or keys player, and that guitarists stock to rootless voicings in order to avoid crossover and mud between instruments.

Do those 2 low strings on an Extended E9 crossover into bass territory?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 10:19 am    

Charley - that would be my instinctive feeling but the low E on Ext. E9 is the same pitch as a guitar's 6th string.

Guitarists and bass-players mostly coexist with a measure of harmony. Smile

I think I'd want that low-end range for my own satisfaction, though.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 11:23 am    

I do too, Earnest.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 1:01 pm    

Charley Paul, there's nothing quite like the deep sound of a fat chord using strings 5-8-11 and 6-10-12. Just those chords and raising it a 4th with A+B pedals was how I got hooked in the first place.

But switching back and forth from 10 to 12 strings is problematic. Doesn't take long to adjust, but in the short interim your grips will be a bit messed up, mainly because the way you orient your right hand on the strings is quite dependent on sighting that lowest string.

I'd also add that it's not easy playing major scales in that lower octave. My next copedent has string 11 G# to F# to make that 2nd scale degree easy to get to. It's on a staggered LKL. It also works like the string 6 whole tone lower in conjunction with E lever to give a big fat E>B chord change, strings 11-10-8.

Also note, I lower string 9 to C# with my E lever lowering the E's (just strings 4 and 8; string 12 goes down to C#, a great change). So use with the E lever for 6th chords, that string 9 becomes a 9th, rather than b3/#9.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 1:02 pm    

Charley Paul, there's nothing quite like the deep sound of a fat chord using strings 5-8-11 and 6-10-12. Just those chords and raising it a 4th with A+B pedals was how I got hooked in the first place.

But switching back and forth from 10 to 12 strings is problematic. Doesn't take long to adjust, but in the short interim your grips will be a bit messed up, mainly because the way you orient your right hand on the strings is quite dependent on sighting that lowest string.

I'd also add that it's not easy playing major scales in that lower octave. My next copedent has string 11 G# to F# to make that 2nd scale degree easy to get to. It's on a staggered LKL. It also works like the string 6 whole tone lower in conjunction with E lever to give a big fat E>B chord change, strings 11-10-8.

Also note, I lower string 9 to C# with my E lever lowering the E's (just strings 4 and 8; string 12 goes down to C#, a great change). So use of the E lever for 6th chords, that string 9 becomes a 9th, rather than b3/#9.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2018 12:58 pm     Ext E9

Hi Matthew, I’ve been using this set-up for over 20 years..everything available for all kinds of music..one 7 pedals the other 6 pedals...Larry

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2018 1:52 pm    

Charley Paul...I use my E lower ( RKL) with a 1/2 stop, Eb/D.. on 8 & 4...Larry

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 2:06 am    

After a year on 10 string I switched to 12 Ext 9. I like the low G# string a lot because you get the pedals down licks and scales, down an octave. 10 string seems like a one octave tuning to me.
I admit it’s has been challenging. I can still play 10 string, it’s not hard for me to switch back to 10 if I practice on 12 string. If I play too much 10 string the12 gets daunting again. I heard that Buddy practiced on 12 string.

Some day I’d like to try a 10 string coped with G# B E F# etc from the bottom up, with levers to lower the E to D and the G# down to low E.

John McClung, yay for lowering the D string to C# on the lever with the E lowers. I’ve just been thinking of that lately.

John

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 6:45 am    

John McClung...

I like the sound of lowering the D string along with the Es - I can't see why this wouldn't be of benefit on standard 10-string E9. I need to think it through for a bit but, so far, I like it.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 7:23 am    

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless.html

Extended and standard E9th and C6 all on a single neck 12 string guitar with all the most popular changes minus the Franklin pedal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 4:09 pm    

I don’t have any trouble reimagining my grips with the extra two strings. Sometimes I mark my 8th with a black marker as a visual cue (more a problem for me going to 10 from 12 rather than the other way) I do try and avoid the bottom two below fret 5 so as not to smother the guitar player
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 2:57 am    

It is a blast to have the low strings when you are playing with a singer songwriter type of band with no lead guitar player. You have the run of the playground.
As a lead guitar player myself, I’ve never had a problem playing with other lead guitarists, as a matter of fact I love it. No reason an ext E9 player can’t do the same. Just a matter of listening and being respectful.
John

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 3:07 am    

Greg, thanks for posting that info.
Isn’t this an E Universal tuning with a low B?
Do you have half stops on your St 1/7 raise to G#?
John