The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Replacement Tuners
Jody Perritt

waycross, ga
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 10:10 am    

I can't find any replacement tuners to fit a Guyatone 6 string lap steel passed down to me from my late grandfather. I've love the look and tone of it (I've replaced pickups), but the dang thing will not stay in tune. The tuning gears are slipping from what I can tell. I've tightened the tuning gear and done all that I know to do. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd really like to replace the tuners, but with it being a slotted and mounted to a pan standard tuners wont work. I have 2 other lapsteels with Grover Tuners that have no issues. Any idea where I might can get some replacements?

Note:I borrowed these pics because it's the same tuners and same guyatone I have

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 10:34 am    

These might work but best to call Stewmac to make sure:

Link to tuners on StewMac website.

You'll have to get out a vernier caliper to check this diagram with your originals.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 1:31 pm    

Those tuners were used on countless instruments manufactured in Japan in the '60s and '70s, so there are tons of them out there. Unfortunately, they sometimes failed. They came with a variety of different buttons. (I have sets with both butterbean and tulip chrome buttons sitting around here someplace.) Used examples come up for sale from time to time on eBay.

Since you have already changed out the pickups, it would seem you're not overly concerned with originality. Perhaps one of the current Kluson tuner pans will fit your Guyatone. Someone on here will probably know.

It may or may not be necessary, but if you can live with the possibility of removing some wood here and there, the Kluson KSGTTC-6 tuner pan may be just the ticket.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 4:25 pm    

Elderly has those tuning machines, or something very close: Click here

HTH. Good Luck with your project! Cool

Jody Perritt

waycross, ga
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 2:18 am    

Thanks everyone. I'm not concerned about keeping it original, playability is my goal. I'll save the original part,though I doubt anyone will be able to find them when I'm dead an gone:-).

Jack, I've saw that Kluson replacement tuning pan, but hoped to just find some replacement tuners. I'll do some research though and will get this replacement pan if I will accept (mounting) some quality tuning machines.

Michael, Thanks for the link! The mounting holes certainly look like a match, but the I'm taking a guess the post will not work as the post on this lap steel are not 'standard'. The post on this lap steel are 'slotted'. I searched elderly and stew mach and see slotted tuners, but none with the same pattern.

Jim Dickinson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 11:33 am    

heck your spacing, the Kluson tuners may fit. From my checking, the 3 strip Kluson replacements are on standard spacing.
Beginning Player, 1946 Fender Dual Pro- Boxcar, Late 1950's Fender Champ, 1954 Fender D8 MK1 Stringmaster Project, MK 2 Stringmaster 22.5 Single Neck Project, MK 2 Stringmaster T8 22.5" Project, Vintage D8 built with Stringmaster Parts. Lottsa parts.