The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chord melody ending lick in Eb
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 4:19 am    

Here's a chord melody ending lick in C6th tuning I use on the tune "A Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square" but is modular for any key if you sub the last chord for a closed position major 7th or 6th chord. To properly intonate, the slants need to be rotated just slightly more than you might think. I'm sure you'll play it in better tune than I did. Smile

https://picosong.com/wjdak/

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 5:38 am    

Thanks.

What's your trick to get the 10-11-12 reverse slant in tune?

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 8:10 am    

Those slants come from Jerry Byrd. Jerry used the 10-11-12 reverse slant often in a V to I chord context. I use it in Country and Hawaiian contexts. Like so (key of G) ....

https://picosong.com/wjrmS/

I Find that a little downward pressure on the bar helps intonate the slants. Bar width, scale length and string spacing are also factors. In context, as the music is flowing along - especially on a faster tuner - intonation is less of an issue, especially with vibrato. A big pedal steel bar can make them easier too but I don't often want to play with that kind of bar.

Here's what Alan Akaka commented when I posted this on FB:

Quote:
Interesting chord progression Andy. Those 2 fret slants on strings (top to bottom) 2-3-5 forward and 2-4-5 reverse can never be exactly in tune. Luckily the vibrato comes to the rescue and tricks the ear making the chord sound in tune. Make sure that the top and bottom strings are in tune.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 8:20 am    

Andy Volk wrote:
Those slants come from Jerry Byrd. Jerry used the 10-11-12 reverse slant often in a V to I chord context. I use it in Country and Hawaiian contexts. Like so (key of G) ....

https://picosong.com/wjrmS/

I Find that a little downward pressure on the bar helps intonate the slants. Bar width, scale length and string spacing are also factors. In context, as the music is flowing along - especially on a faster tuner - intonation is less of an issue, especially with vibrato. A big pedal steel bar can make them easier too but I don't often want to play with that kind of bar.

Here's what Alan Akaka commented when I posted this on FB:

Quote:
Interesting chord progression Andy. Those 2 fret slants on strings (top to bottom) 2-3-5 forward and 2-4-5 reverse can never be exactly in tune. Luckily the vibrato comes to the rescue and tricks the ear making the chord sound in tune. Make sure that the top and bottom strings are in tune.

Thanks for the reply and Akaka's comments. I am used to using bar pressure, tip, etc. to tune odd slants, and I have seen it in the Byrd course, but it was worth asking for more advice from pros.

On slower tunes, do you ever grab a note behind the bar to aid tuning? as in getting the 10 and 11 fret slant in tune, and slightly pulling the 12th fret pitch up?

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 8:34 am    

Absolutely! A slight pull (if you have the time and dexterity) will definitely work. Sol Ho'opi'i would use a ton of vibrato - and I suspect, the bar pressure method - to fudge a slant that had intonation issues. I'm a little rusty at the moment playing wise so wish I could have better applied all these concepts on the clip above. Reminds me I need to practice!

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 9:04 am    

That sounds very nice Andy. I remember Carl Dixon teaching us that F#7 reverse slant on a V-I ending (Take your reverse slant F#7 five chord and straighten the bar straight up at the 11th fret for the B chord one chord = V - I) . Your E9 voicing is new to me however. Since there is no major 3rd in the chord and a 4th instead, I'd call your E9 an "E9 sus chord" = 4th, b7, 9th voicing. Thanks...

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 9:10 am    

You're welcome and good to see you back here, Jesse. For anyone to whom these slants are new, here's another look ...