The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1973 MSA bypass Switch..
Larry Becker

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 1:59 pm    

I'm restoring a 1973 MSA Classic S12 steel guitar and I want to change the electronics in it a bit.. . These came with a "bypass" switch which was an option.. This guitar doesn't have one.. What I want to do,, is install a bypass switch, so that in one position, the volume and tone controls on the guitar can be used , and in the other position, the volume and tone controls can be "bypassed" with just the pickup only connected to the amp, like the modern steels of today.. I was wondering if there is anybody out there that would have a wiring schematic of this they could post, or send me..any help with this would be much appreciated..Thanx in advance .. Larry..
Show Pro D10, 9&5, Boss RV3, Fender Steel King, Fender Twin,Fender Hot Rod De Ville ,Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Gibson '61 SG. Fender Studio DeLuxe lap steel,,'59 Fender Princeton amp..1973 MSA S12

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 5:41 pm     1973 MSA by pass switch

I have and played a MSA S10 which I put a switch on. I put it under the guitar, And used an existing screws to anchor it.

The switch I used has 6 terminals. The center 2 terminals are hooked to the amp jack, 2 terminals on one end attach to wires from the vol. and tone controls. Attach another set of wires one ground, 1 to the wire where it makes the first connection to the controls from the pickup and run to the end of the switch.

When the switch is in the center it is off, Then you can select Direct or Through controls.
When you bypass the controls you get a higher and clearer sound from the guitar.

I do not consider myself an electronics person. I can attach wires and solder them. Any thing else I take to a friend to do.
Hope this is helpful and Happy Steelin.

Larry Becker

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 10:59 am    

. Thanx Bobby, but I was hoping for a wiring schematic..Your description is somewhat helpful though.. The 6 contacts on the switch tells me it's a DPDT switch.. But I'm not too sure on how to proceed with the wiring as you describe it... I do appreciate your reply.. Thanx..
Show Pro D10, 9&5, Boss RV3, Fender Steel King, Fender Twin,Fender Hot Rod De Ville ,Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Gibson '61 SG. Fender Studio DeLuxe lap steel,,'59 Fender Princeton amp..1973 MSA S12

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 1:31 pm    

Larry, I sent you a PM.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 1:44 pm    

Michael Brebes installed a bypass switch in my 1974 classic. He knows about this stuff.
John

Larry Becker

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 9:14 am    

Ok everyone... Thanx to everyone who responded to my request for information on this wiring change to my MSA.. With your help, I have the information needed now to do it properly... this site is truly remarkable, in the fact that people are willing to share their knowledge of this instrument unselfishly with those like me that aren't quite so knowledgeable..Once again,, my thanx for all the help you've given me..