The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sometimes you get lucky!!
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 6:56 pm    

So my friend brought over a 80's LL Emmons with stock pickups, thru his N400 with a 1502. Sounded great once we cranked up the shift and mid range.

Then put in into my N400 with a 1501DT, we set the tone to be similar but it did not sound so good.

Next we plugged in my 70' fatback PP with Teloinics 409's into his amp, not so good. Then the PP into the my 1501DT, sparkle and presence jumped out at you.

We were both taken aback how one guitar could sound so good with one amp but not the other and vise versa.

Sometimes you get lucky!!

Phone: 971-219-8533

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 7:25 pm    

Larry, I agree that some guitars, amps and speakers don’t necessarily play nice with one another. There have been many times when I was about to give up on a guitar/amp combination until I swapped things around. Go figure🤓

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 7:52 pm    

That's exactly what I discovered. Seems like it's best to spend some time trying what I have in different combinations. I was also stunned.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 8:53 am    

Ken Fox might have a scientific answer, go Ken!!!

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 9:57 am    

What a timely post.

I have spent the last 2 weeks trying this amp, with that speaker, ect…

Really very surprising the changes you can hear... I would also add, the utility of each amp/speaker arrangement... for instance, my favorite amp to record with is a "souped up" Mustang I 20 watt amp (with a larger 10" Celestion 10N-40 4 ohm speaker)…. but this amp is very limited for live gigs.... on the other hand I love my Steelaire when I can have it at least cranked up to half volume or better (my theory on that is neodyne speakers sound better when moving some air)… and most recently I'm discovering my Milkman head amp really seems to come to life with a 12" 8 ohm speaker... rather than a 4 ohm 15?

Funny thing is for 25 years I had one steel, two cables, a volume pedal, and my Session 500 Smile

Nice thread, I'll be watching this one Smile

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2018 7:55 am    

And David you sounded great!!!

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 2:58 pm    

Larry, thanks for the very kind words! Right back at ya for sure.

Wonder what a equipment forum thread like this one will look like in 20 years? Smile

… "yeah, the tone was OK, but a pedal steel guitar that weighs over 5 lbs., that's just too much weight"...

Smile

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 3:37 am    

I could never bond with my Vegas with its 1502.

4 steel guitars later... nothing.

; )

I prefer my Heritage VTX hands down...

Might swap speaker cabinets to see if its an amp or speaker voicing issue.