The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My (??) 8 string tuning experiment.
Noam Cohen

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 9:27 pm    

Its a 6th / 7th combo in Gmaj/Em for now (if my nomenclature is correct). I'm likely to move it to an Emaj center when I re-string.

From low to high:
high F, (low)G,B,D,E,G,B,D

The high 7th on the 'bottom' is borrowed from Freddie Roulette's tuning. What y'all think? Is there a smarter way to get what I want? Primary aims are full chord major, minor and 7th's. I don't play Hawaiian - though at some point I'll probably explore swing. For now the E ‘6th' is mostly for the purposes of the minor chord it enables.

Couldn't find this tuning on Brad's tunings page - which is why I call it 'mine' for now. Im sure others must have tried it - feel free to 'set me straight'- and suggest other ways of achieving the same ends. I am a relative newbie (see my intro post) and till now have mostly played GBDGBD six string laps (and a resonator). I’ve had this set up for two days now and it’s starting to feel pretty natural.

Noam
http://noamsmusic.tumblr.com

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 11:31 pm    

Gary Morse uses G B D E G B D (G6th) on his 7-string reso. Great for western swing!

Your high F on the bottom is unique.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 10:43 am    

Noam, I have a 10-string Melobar tunes kind of like that in E: chromatic string on top, a low b7 on the bottom, I think a 6th in the middle, it's packed away in its case, it was a very useful tuning for blues and rock styles.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 6:35 pm    

Looks good.......should be fun.

I like the F on the bottom too as it gives you a Dom7.

Depending on how you like things and the type of music you play.....you can switch the E and F and have the Dom7 F right in the middle and the E on the bottom.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 2:22 am    

Cindy Cashdollar uses that version of E6th for playing Western Swing tunes, like Panhandle Rag, on Dobro. Your reentrant 7th string F is a unique touch. You may find it pretty handy or eventually, miss the low string if you're playing solo a lot. Joaquin Murphey used a reentrant B on one of his C6th tunings to aid in lush chord melody playing.

Check out John Ely's site or my book Slide Rules for more on the tunings that many people are using. And .... welcome to the forum!

https://www.hawaiiansteel.com

http://www.volkmediabooks.com/products-books/slide-rules

Noam Cohen

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 1:44 pm    

Thanks everyone - and thanks for the welcome Andy - I will look into the references and suggestions as I get time.

Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 2:46 pm    

Noam - do you have any issues with the smaller gauge string being next to a much larger one? I'm experimenting with various high strings in that #8 position and am finding I have to press pretty hard to not get unwanted bar rattle from that thin string not being tall enough compared to the much larger #7 string.

I'm on a resonator though so I'm sure the higher string tension doesn't help.