The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Has anyone worn out an Emmons push/pull?
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 9:32 pm    

The legendary Emmons push/pull guitar was produced from the sixties into the eighties or so in various different models and variations. Obviously, some have been played more than others. My question: Has anyone ever worn one out to the point it's no longer a dependable, serviceable instrument? The odd failure of any given part here and there doesn't count. Nor does damage from accident, act of God, or neglect.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 10:58 am    

Jack that’s a excellent Question. Maybe they should have a hour meter.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 11:20 am    

Then you'll know when to change oil. Whoa!
Erv

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 2:22 pm    

No but I actually DID wear out an MSA Classic, and those things are as tough as hell.. Took about 23 years of playing it every day year after year at thousands and thousands of gigs and untold hours of practice time, but i wore it out pretty badly, until there was a need for a complete rebuild, and it simply was not worth the effort/cost.. Sold it here for next to nothing... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 2:35 pm    

That's a great question. You know there are hundreds of them out there that have thousands of honky-tonk hours on them. Some of the PP mechanics on this site can probably speak too the question with more authority.

I had an early '70s Sho-Bud Pro II that I sold to Scotty in the mid-'80s that was worn sloppy to the point Scotty had to basically rebuild the thing before reselling it. Although it had a ton of hours on it before I got it from Keith Hilton, who played it for years.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 7:05 pm    

Certain parts of all guitars will wear out or break, sooner or later...it's the nature of the beast. There is no mechanical device made that is not subject to degradation if it's used enough.

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 9:07 pm     Re: Has anyone worn out an Emmons push/pull?

Jack Hanson wrote:
The legendary Emmons push/pull guitar was produced from the sixties into the eighties or so in various different models and variations. My question: Has anyone ever worn one out to the point it's no longer a dependable, serviceable instrument?

There are those who have restored quiet a few push/pulls. I've read statements like 'It was a total basket case' or 'I got this push/pull in the other day, and it's in need of a total restoration.' so I guess the answer would be yes. Why would it need to be completely restored if it wasn't completely worn out?

Mitch

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 6:19 am     Has anyone worn out an Emmons PP

I bet there are a lot more PP's that have worn out their owners and have been to a lot of funerals.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 7:34 am    

I've rebuilt a number of pp's in my time and would say that the major wear that I've seen has been in the axle hole in the changer fingers where they get a bit of side- to-side movement.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 7:47 am    

I'm sure parts wear, but I'd bet the GREAT majority of p/p service is just undoing some 'not-so-expert' attempts at setup.. Smile

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 9:12 am    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
I've rebuilt a number of pp's in my time and would say that the major wear that I've seen has been in the axle hole in the changer fingers where they get a bit of side- to-side movement.

Absolutely. And it's a good idea to polish the axle a bit and turn it 90 degrees. At least that was Dr. Bowman's procedure.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 4:43 pm    

i think I’ll wear out before any of my steel guitars do.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 4:54 pm     PPwear...the new line for spring

Yes oval'd out button holes on the bell cranks, oval'd changer shaft holes, and gouges on the backs of the changer fingers where they meet the (steel) tuning set screws, and gouging of (wooden) stop bars are significant wear issues. The finger and stop bar gouging is a result of improper set-up. Raise finger to cabinet (body contact) point gouging or denting happens too. There's more...but suffice it to say that a properly set up PP will sound better and wear a WHOLE lot less than a poor set up..
widcj@hotmail.com

Last edited by john widgren on 5 Dec 2018 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 5:09 pm     Basket case

A "basket case" by definition requires a rebuild at least.
widcj@hotmail.com

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 11:18 pm     Re: Has anyone worn out an Emmons PP

George Kimery wrote:
I bet there are a lot more PP's that have worn out their owners and have been to a lot of funerals.

Amen Exclamation

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 7:06 am    

Parts wear out, but they can be replaced. I’ve put fingers on a couple, and did the axle trick Herb mentioned on several. These guitars will be making music after we are all dead and gone. There aren’t any new ones, and nothing else comes close to the tone they provide.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2018 12:22 am    

Jim Evans wore on out, he bought it new in 71 and played it ant many many gigs up until his death two years ago. I had to replace the changer bar, some changer fingers and the neck need replacing because a hole was worn almost thru neck fro his picks hitting it. Also replaced several swiivels as they were worn out.The pedals developed slack was able to find a new rod for them. Once parts were replaced, was good as new. Played ok like it was but had tuning issues.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.