The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hal Rugg?
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 9:31 am    

Is this Hal Rugg on this cut? He was a Wilburn Brothers player wasn't he? This is some of the tastiest playing I've heard.

https://youtu.be/6QZzrVKGnOk?list=PLDIG6OVJm7ZBTM1ljseRPcRY72EPflsAz

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 10:29 am    

I would guess that it is Hal. Looks like his hands and his old ShoBud to me
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 11:41 am    

Almost positive it's Hal. I seem to remember the shirt. The other steel player was Curly Chalker, and he had his E9 on the back neck. I think Don Helms did a stint with the Wilburns, but it sounds 100% like Hal.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 11:43 am    

And I think I've seen him wearing sweaters like that Bill - kind funny but that's what made me think it was him haha.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 11:46 am    

Yeah Richard, I knew it wasn't Curly Chalker with a Sho-bud. For me, it's some of the best voicing and general flow I've heard. I love the way he plays the bridge in the second half of the song.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 12:08 pm    

lots of great Hal on those Wilburn shows, that's definitely him (with Buddy Spicher). he took over for Don Helms at some point, Curly came in after Hal with Jimmy Capps replacing Spicher.

it's a real treat to hear Hal backing Loretta on the Wilburn shows, since he played on almost all her records at that time. he played on a lot of George Jones stuff too... not sure about 'When the Grass'

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 1:39 pm    

110% hal rugg. the wilburn brothers shows are a goldmine of great steel playing as well as combo playing.

i love the line at the end... "george jones; when he sings a song, it has been sung".

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 3:24 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIvP8Lq8iTY

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 4:23 pm    

No doubt that is Hal.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 5:52 pm    

Johnny Cox is right, definitely Hal Rugg. Hal could send chills down my spine with his country playing.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 11:58 pm    

Hal for sure. Curly was the other regular player on those shows (with the E-9th on the back neck). Some of the earlier WB Shows also had Don Helms as featured player. Band also includes Buddy Spicher on fiddle and Jimmy Capps on Lead Guitar.

Kind Regards, Walter

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 12:37 am    

It was Hal. He did a thing with his left fingers where he would splay them out like he was measuring the distance to the next fret before he would move the bar down the neck. Charleton pointed it out to me when we where going over some bar accuracy exercises.

Franklin

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 2:12 am    

Bob,
Hal spent several years tracking with a Shobud before switching to his PP. Changing the fingers behind the bar really changes the tone and sustain on those old Bud's, especially around the 12th 7th and 5th fret areas as he was here....The reason for his splaying has nothing to do with measuring frets.

I spent a lot of time with Hal and we talked about trying to get more sustain out of the Sho-Buds of which he talked specifically about this splaying as a means to enhance the tone and sustain....He talked me into switching from my Bud to a PP as he did because of those issues...Bud's had dead overtone spots whereas most PP's did not, they were more evenly distributed which is why they sustain much longer than Bud's.....Its all about variances in tone and sustain..Also as a side note I sometimes lift my behind the bar fingers completely off the strings on some frets in sessions for an effect...Personally I vary the behind the bar fingers as part of my connection with the sonics of the instrument.
Paul

manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 4:33 am    

Wow! I have a lot of respect for professionals like Mr Franklin who are aware of the nuances that produce such perfect tone.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2018 2:12 pm    

I have much respect for Mr Franklin who'd share his knowledge with a lowly mut like me haha! As always, thanks for your insight Paul. What you describe of the sustain factors between Buds and Emmons, in a way, seems like the differences between Stratocasters and Les Pauls to me - I was always a Stratocaster guy because you had to really aggressively play the heck out of them, and then they would give you tone like no other.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2018 4:46 pm    

is that brown one a crossover or a professional? i think he played both models as well as a his old fingertip in the earlier shows. sounded great on all.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 6:44 am    

Gary Spaeth wrote:
is that brown one a crossover or a professional? i think he played both models as well as a his old fingertip in the earlier shows. sounded great on all.

The natural finish one (if I'm not mistaken) is a Permanent that was made after the Permanents were discontinued, around 67 or 68, I believe. That guitar came up for sale a few months ago on reverb.com. I sorta nudged a friend into buying it, so I got to spend a week or two with it at home getting it functional again. I'm not an expert on Sho-Bud hardware, but the undercarriage is all later stuff, nothing welded like an old Permanent, and has a system in place for accomplishing lowers on strings that also have raises. It has 4 knee levers and coil taps on both pickups, which sounded really good! I didn't measure the resistance but tapping the coils took out a lot of the midrange honk. It's a really nice sounding guitar with a beautiful cabinet, and needless to say, very exciting to get to check out and play.