The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rusty Young - Live 1969
Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 11:12 am    

Here's the vid of Rusty & POCO from the Newport '69 Festival. Can clearly see the Twin Reverbs on top of Showman bottoms, but I don't see his Leslie. This must have been after Randy left, but before Timothy joined. Jimmy had to fill in on bass, and here Rusty has to try & cover all the lead guitar territory (bordering on over-playing?). An awkward time for sure. Even still, these guys rocked! And such happy music. The vocals still knock me out. George could sing as high as Randy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqmJESFg7tA
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 9:28 am    

Definitely an awkward time. At least when Richie left, he knew the band was still going to be able to maintain the standard he set for it, with writing, playing, and vocals fully covered. Randy Meisner was a monster talent, but not a very considerate band mate, leaving them in the dust with a tour ahead of them. This video is hard to watch for me. Good thing the dancing girls are there Cool

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 10:09 am    

It's true, they're clearly struggling here and putting on the brave face. Poor Jimmy having to give up the guitar for the bass. Rusty was throwing out every lick he could, trying to cover his steel and the telecaster parts. But it's the energy and drive of this early POCO music that inspires me to this day. Like if the Buckaroos grew their hair out. One of these days I hope to find some like-minded players and put out this kind of a sound... just for the joy of it.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 7:08 pm    

How about the tripped-out chicks dancing on the scaffolding above the speakers ? Wow!!