The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone diy caste aluminum?
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 8:48 pm    

I'm thinking of casting some endplates for a hybrid/mongrel lapsteel made with sho~bud parts for added tone (experimentally) and something to screw legs into. Some great vids out there i.e.myfordguy etc. Anyone done any casting and in the case of endplates, what's the best way to bring the grainy surface to a nice finish for exterior surfaces? Assuming I actually succeed to that stage...

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 8:06 am    

You probly mean sand cast don't you ? you use either green sand or an oil based petrobond type sand right? you ll need a pattern first and make sure its the shape and size you want , make it a little bigger than actual size because aluminum will shrink a bit after casting , die casting is a little different. I have casted pedals and pillow blocks, keyheads and various other parts for pedal steel guitars , you ll also want a good alloy do not use aluminum cans melted down as its too soft and will gumup if you mill it hope it goes well with your casting projects .

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 10:49 am     I had some done

Hi Steven,
I had some done about four years ago for a Sho Bud rebuilding project.
Was turning two older D-10's into four SD-10's and didn't want the gaping hole where the C6th necks had been.

I also had the keyheads re-cast because the original ones would not buff out well.
My guess is that they used crappy aluminum back then like Russell mentioned in his response.

Anyway, the end plates did loose about 1/16" front to back also like Russell said they would with a sand casting.
Of the four sets that this fellow in Saigon cast for us two pairs had to be re-cast because they were badly pitted.
Even though I was willing to pay him to re-cast them, he got angry and now will no longer do any casting for me Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Too bad because I was not all that upset.

In the end all worked out well and me and Denny still need to finish up two of the steels. Got delayed by my back surgery two years ago.
I'm not aware of anyone doing new castings now. They are quite difficult to do well.
If anybody would make some I'm guessing they would sell well as I got a few requests for them, but I don't do casting.
The end result; Very Happy

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 5:20 am    

Man!!!! That is one BEAUTIFUL guitar!!!

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 5:45 am    

Wow Andy, you did an excellent job on that guitar! Beautiful!

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 6:41 am    

Wow gorgeous job! Those castings look great too.
I'd like to have seen how he made the molds exactly for those endplates.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 9:19 am     Thanks guys...

Thanks guys for the nice thoughts.

Steven. As for the castings, I didn't see much of the process.
I do know he took the old end plates and filled the holes I didn't want with some moulding clay I think. Then he used them to shape the sand forms which he poured the molten aluminum into.
Wish I could give you more details, but I'd just be making it up.

I do know that getting really good sand castings is a skill almost lost to our generations. Read a book by a steel builder who quit when his casting guy retired.
Also know that others are always looking to find better casting services.
It's a frustrating deal to say the least. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.