The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TT12 compared to PF350
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 6:21 am    

i love the pf350 but would like to save some weight. thinking of going with TT12. anyone here make the change ? how do they compare ? playing push pull emmons thru dr z surgical steel currently. thanks !

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 6:45 am     TT-12 compared to the PF-350

Karen, I was in your shoes when I sold you the 350. Loved the speaker, but just couldn't handle the weight. I replaced it with the TT-12 and have never looked back. I really can't tell any difference in them. I took the 350 out and put the TT-12 in, so I never had two cabinets side by side to do a direct AB test. My ears are totally happy with the TT-12 and if there is any difference, it's not enough to justify the extra weight. Just my opinion, others may differ.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 8:11 am    

thanks George, I think I am going to try the TT12 also !

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 9:12 am     Tt-12

I have the TT 12 in my Nashville 112's and they sound really good. Right now my good friend and world famous fiddler Beau Thomas has been using one while I repair his and I asked him last night how it compares to the EPS 12 c he has in his and he says he really likes it!

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 9:51 am    

thanks !

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 10:29 am    

I've got a TT-12 in my Allen Encore tube amp. It has a decent bass response and warm sound to it. Even on the higher frets it is non-piercing but still clear. With my telecasters the only slight knock is that the highs are a bit less twangy than I'd like.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Allen%20Encore%20Guitar%20Amp/Allen%20Encore%20Guitar%20Amp.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 8:07 pm     Re: TT12 compared to PF350

Karen Sarkisian wrote:
i love the pf350 but would like to save some weight. thinking of going with TT12. anyone here make the change ? how do they compare ? playing push pull emmons thru dr z surgical steel currently. thanks !

Hey Karen. I hope you’ll try my speaker out. I think you’ll really like it. As others have already pointed out, they are VERY similar sounding. Paul and I were both using the same speakers before we designed our own models, so our starting point was exactly the same. I chose to use a NEO magnet, and he stuck with a traditional magnet design. The biggest difference between the two is weight. TT12 = 7.1lbs / PF350 = 21.5lbs

-t

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 10:55 am    

So I just posted about this in another thread on the new Milkman "The Amp".. but here is what I found last weekend:

"Oh brother! All that has been said about the weight of this speaker (22 lbs.) is true, but I put it in a "not-too-heavy" cabinet, and the weight is only half of my old Session 500 ... however with that said, what great tone and string separation.... an absolutely even response from my high G# down to my lowest B string... and clear as a bell.

I can see why folks are going to the TT lighter weight neo speaker.... but this PF 350 is really something.. and that was only using this 50 watt amp..... amazing for a 350 watt rated speaker to sound that full at lower volumes too!

I decided on a "cube" shaped cabinet, roughly 16" on all sides, with about 1/3 of the back open, and rear loaded speaker."

With this said.... I think we steel guitarists are so lucky to have other players giving an input into these amps and speakers being offered to us. Way cool, and my hat's off to both Travis and Paul, as well as the other steel players who have helped us all out in the past!

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 11:23 am    

David Wren wrote:
So I just posted about this in another thread on the new Milkman "The Amp".. but here is what I found last weekend:

"Oh brother! All that has been said about the weight of this speaker (22 lbs.) is true, but I put it in a "not-too-heavy" cabinet, and the weight is only half of my old Session 500 ... however with that said, what great tone and string separation.... an absolutely even response from my high G# down to my lowest B string... and clear as a bell.

I can see why folks are going to the TT lighter weight neo speaker.... but this PF 350 is really something.. and that was only using this 50 watt amp..... amazing for a 350 watt rated speaker to sound that full at lower volumes too!

I decided on a "cube" shaped cabinet, roughly 16" on all sides, with about 1/3 of the back open, and rear loaded speaker."

With this said.... I think we steel guitarists are so lucky to have other players giving an input into these amps and speakers being offered to us. Way cool, and my hat's off to both Travis and Paul, as well as the other steel players who have helped us all out in the past!

Thanks David. It might need saying that, the light weight was not the goal for me in designing my speaker. Tone and performance were the end goals. As others have already said, they are VERY similar sounding. I actually prefer mine slightly over Paul’s, but I guess that would only make sense being that I tailored it for exactly what I like. The weight difference was just a bonus of using a NEO construction in our design.

-t

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 11:37 am    

Hey Travis, do you have a TT 15inch? I am looking to replace my telonics speaker.

Craig

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 11:58 am    

Craig Bailey wrote:
Hey Travis, do you have a TT 15inch? I am looking to replace my telonics speaker.

Craig

I do! And for what it’s worth, JayDee has been using them and loving them. That’s a cool one for me. Always an honor to make something that a hero of yours likes. Link is below...

-t

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Double_T_15

Ryan Knudson

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 12:09 pm    

Travis, do you know of anyone using the TT15 with a Silverface Twin Reverb?

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 12:12 pm    

Ryan Knudson wrote:
Travis, do you know of anyone using the TT15 with a Silverface Twin Reverb?

I don’t know anyone specifically. Seems as though it would be a great pairing. I know Tyler Hall has really been digging his TT-15. He actually has the final prototype. He won’t give it back. Haha. He’s in an old Fender mode right now, but I’m not sure if he’s used my speaker in those amps. He’d be a great one to ask.

-t