The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics 84 vs 206
Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 8:23 am    

Can anyone who has used both of these pickups compare the tone? Are they completely different or is the 206 essentially the blade version of the 84? I love the tone of the 84 but don't utilize the adjustable poles. I play a Williams and the string spacing is slightly narrower, leaving the strings off center over the poles. I've reached out to Telonics a couple of times and haven't received a reply yet. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 8:33 am    

i do not have any experience with the type 84, but i have a 206, a 409 and a type X.

the 409 and type X have adjustable pole pieces so you can dial in some growl or some mellowness and balance out the strings.

that said, i found the 206 to not really need any balancing on my sho bud .it sounded great right out of the box. i switched the 206 for a 409, but i soon went back to the 206. i really liked it.

i'm now playing a push pull with a type x in it, and it sounds great.

i don't think you can lose with telonics pickups. if the pole pieces don't line up on your williams, i think the 206 is the best humbucker you can get.

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 9:06 am     Spacing

Why would the Williams have narrower Spacing? Are we talking different than vintage like Sho Bud or different than newer modern steels?

I have the original Sho Bud pickups. Would Telonics or other have some advantage? Mr. Fergueson did note that Telonics had adjustable poles. I inquired with him that my 8th string seemed more prevalent in a grouping...its either the stainless strings or possible pickup. It might be thumb but I've worked on that. Pickup is interesting scenario.

String spacing....i assumed was standard.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 10:37 am    

Thanks, Dave. I currently have the 84 and it sounds amazing without adjusting the poles. I’m ordering another Williams and want the same tone but if the 206 is comparable to the 84 I’d like to go that direction. Maybe Mr. Beaty will see this and offer a comparison.

Wayne, Williams string spacing is 10/32”, I believe. It’s only 1/32” off from most modern steels but it does make a difference with regard to pole alignment. Whether or not that makes a significant difference in tone/volume for the strings that are off center is beyond me. Again, I’m very happy with the tone of the 84 and will get another if there isn’t a comparable blade model.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 1:19 am    

Matthew,a few years ago one of my Lawrence XR16 pickups got damaged in transit and Dave Beatty sent me a 206 as a replacement,Now I have 206 pickups on all of my guitars...my absolute favorite pickup.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 8:51 am    

Thanks, Stu. Would you say it's pretty close to the tone of the XR16? Any major differences?

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 6:56 am    

Matthew,I would say that it's the closest sounding to the Lawrence,It also has those great midranges...a while ago some guy gave me crap and told me that the 206 was designed for the C6th neck and that I was using it wrong??maybe but I doubt it!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 11:02 am     Re: Telonics 84 vs 206

Mathew Peluso wrote:
...I play a Williams and the string spacing is slightly narrower, leaving the strings off center over the poles. I've reached out to Telonics a couple of times and haven't received a reply yet. Any help would be much appreciated.

Evidently, pole alignment with the strings really isn't that critical:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix1205/386_Anapeg_2.jpg