The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  emmons P/P converted to a all pull ??
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 9:05 am    

somewhere on here there was a couple of emmons P/P converted to a All Pull. does anyone know if there any pictures of that emmons i think a couple where for sale
here

thanks

p.w

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 9:19 am    

I think Clem Schmitz posted his PP/AP conversion several years back.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 4:07 am     emmons P/P converted to a all pull ??

Ttt

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 5:40 am    

Paul Franklin converted one for Buddy Emmons. I have no idea where it is now, if it still exists.

MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 6:46 am    

I'm curious: why would someone do that? I thought that a P/P would be more desirable than an all pull, from all that I've read about it.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 6:48 am     emmons P/P converted to a all pull ??

thanks jack,

i know there was a thread about on here but can't fine it. hope some one knows about those guitars....

p.w

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 8:11 am    

Jack, The Franklin converted PP does exist and I have it. Many years ago, I bought it from Bobbe Seymour right before he was about to convert it back to a push pull. It's a red belly bolt-on that was converted by Paul Sr. to a Franklin all pull. It has what appear to be prototype cream-colored E-66 pickups. The return springs compress rather than pull like a PP. I have some of the details of its story. I affectionately refer to it as "Franklinstein". BTW - it sounds just great.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 8:11 am    

Some discussion from a 15 second Google search:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=331587&sid=d4caf8cf86fd3958eeee0190d54fa810

emmons push pull pedal steel guitar converted to an all pull played by mike bourque:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fHyur_QgWw

A converted Emmons sighting:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=203269&sid=aef68f7c5b6a6898b1ffd1434ffcf8a7
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 11:06 am    

T.C. I didn't know what happened to the Emmons/Franklin conversion. Paul Sr did tell me Buddy took it to the EMCI shop and told them to make the EMCI sound like the Franklin conversion.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 11:29 am    

MIchael Bean wrote:
I'm curious: why would someone do that? I thought that a P/P would be more desirable than an all pull, from all that I've read about it.

It all depends on what you're looking for. If you want a guitar that makes for fast and easy setup changes, or one thats lightweight or inexpensive, you probably don't want a p/p. You must understand that each guitar has certain advantages, and if there were one that "had it all", that would be the one that everyone would be playing.

But such a guitar does not exist. Oh Well

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 8:22 pm    

Jack, Buddy taking the bolt-on w/ Franklin all pull conversion to EMCI is definitely part of the story that I heard. I am glad to learn what you heard. Any further info is appreciated! TC

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 7:41 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfIJ_EK6keU
This may be what you want.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 9:37 am    

Paul...not me! I can take one look at that pile of complexity and tell that's not a guitar I'd want to own. A total setup change on that thing might require days to get it right. Crying or Very sad

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 4:06 pm    

A Buddy of mine, and possible forum member Corey Woodcock mentioned to me at one time that He had a Push pull conversion that was done by Paul Franklin. If I remember correctly that is. Thanks

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 8:47 am    

There was a single neck conversion floating around Canada in the 80’s and Dennis Delores from a Prairie Oyster owned it for a while. Seems to me it was rosewood but that’s all the details I remember about it.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 1:37 am    

I owned a D-10 that was converted by Andy Hinton but he passed away. I bought his steel guitar shop from his son after his passing. He was a forum member and talked about it here. It worked well and still had a lot of push pull flavor only closer to a LeGrande sound. I've owned both a 71 push pull that was rebuilt by Bryan Adams, a LeGrande lll owned by the late Walter Haynes and the converted PP by Andy Hinton and had all three of them here at the same time. I liked the converted one for the fact it was an all pull in the compact body of a push pull. Push pulls are physically smaller than the LeGrande. Andy copied the fingers of the LeGrande for his conversion in his shop. He said it took some time but it worked. He used 3/16" cold rolled steel for the cross shafts and built his own bellcranks. The tricky part is cutting that endplate out so it doesn't look like a butchered mess. No matter how well a steel performs steel players want guitars that look pretty and flawless. I'm one of the few that likes beat up pedal steels because I began life as a 6 string Spanish guitar player. We like guitars that are well used.