The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Light weight PA speaker suggestions?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 3:08 pm    

I have s nice mixer and Peavey 3000 class D power amp. I’m looking for some light weight PA speakers for voice and acoustic guitar only. I don’t care for powered speakers or speakers with a 15 woofer.

Suggestions are appreciated ...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 8:05 am    

I'd look for a pair of smaller DJ speakers, like Rockville, Pyle, or the ones that come with the Fender Passport System. For just voice and acoustic guitar, either 8" or 10" speakers in a pole-mount cabinet would probably be all you need for most venues.

Something like this, which you can get online or at many music stores:

https://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PADH1079-Two-Way-Speaker-Cabinet/dp/B0007LCKPU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1543420833&sr=8-8&keywords=pyle+pro+speakers

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 9:28 am    

I have a small Kustom PA that I have had for over ten years. It has been used mainly for acoustic instruments and vocals as you say you would do. I have been very happy with the speakers that came with it. From what I have seen, these are the closest cabinets to what I have currently being offered:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-pa-kpx110-10-passive-speaker-pair

Of course, other vendors will offer them as well. I use them on stands about four feet off the floor for best results. Good Luck in your search. Cool

Bob Strickland

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 6:53 am     Speakers

If you're looking for something small and lightweight, check out the Yorkville YX10

https://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/9000-YorkvilleYX10SpecSheet.pdf

They are $200 each new, but check Guitar Center used gear; I got some for way way less. They are clean as a whistle and weight only 24 lbs.

For bigger jobs, I use EV SX-300 with 12" woofers. They're 32 lbs. At internet stores they're $750 new each, but I scored some used at Guitar Center for around $200 each. They are incredible. The SX-100 is almost as good.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 4:52 pm    

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m heading for GC later this week. I like to shop local but my local store only has big speakers. Also, those tower type speakers that fit on the bass bin
like the Bose system seem to be popular. Most music stores in my area are carrying these systems.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 4:48 pm    

Hi Len,
FWIW, I've used the 800 watt powered version of these for years. Yes, mine are powered, but light and really sound great for my solo gigs, using telecaster, vocal, harmonizer, and tracks. Handle it well, great sound, and easy to carry. These are probably lighter being passive.
I found out about the powered ones when I used to work on a major cruise line, and they are what they had at all the stages.
You might want to check a pair out. With the powered ones, it really cuts down on the weight. No heavy power amp to haul around.
Really amazing.
Good luck in your search.
Pat

https://www.amazon.com/Electro-Voice-2-Way-Compact-Passive-Loudspeaker/dp/B013TPSVQM/ref=asc_df_B013TPSVQM/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=%7Bcreative%7D&hvpos=%7Badposition%7D&hvnetw=o&hvrand=%7Brandom%7D&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=%7Bdevicemodel%7D&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482455310047&psc=1