The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pay Pal
Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 9:14 am    

Gentlemen and ladies:
This topic is about Pay Pal and the comments I have seen. Back in 2014 when after being in the hospital, I decided to look at getting a steel guitar and maybe amp. I gleaned eBay looking and joined SGF to look and see what's going on in the steel community. I have had a couple of steels back in the day but really was pretty ignorant of Brands, models, etc.
I almost bought some I looked at on SGF but had some what a concern about online purchase. I finally ended up with one on eBay that I could tell was mint and it was from an estate. I also, bought later a Fender reissue Twin. Both by joining PayPal or maybe I was already a member.

Here's the deal. I have seen several that say won't use PayPal. Why? We as buyers have no help in case there is some fraudulent issue about the item. Maybe most are good people but some are going to take you. With only pictures that can be Photoshop and not able to see the item, we may think it's ok until we get it. The seller gets money...we get a misrepresented item. Pay Pal, I think can help in those instances. Most eBay sellers are very concerned about feedback so that helps. That gives us as buyers some level of comfort.

Why is there a problem with some SGF members and Paypal?
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 9:48 am    

I have had NO problems with PayPal. Very Happy
Erv

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 9:51 am    

I have NO problem with PPal. Uaed them a lot over the years, and never a glitch..and you can double your protection by linking it to a credit card. I wouldn't link it to a debit card, though. Much better protection from the credit card company.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 10:44 am    

I've used PayPal for many years and had no problems. You do have to have your account linked to a credit card, but you can include other funding sources, like a checking, or savings, account.

My CC has a low spending limit, and my checking account never has much in it. This means my liability is limited to an amount I choose, and can afford...at least until any problem gets adjudicated. (hasn't happened yet)

The most important aspect of ebay buying is to observe the seller's ratings and how many transactions he's made. I won't buy from a seller with 98%, or less, rating, or a small number of transactions.

Ratings are a good clue to the seller's integrity. Don't let your "I want it" overrule your (It's too risky").

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 10:57 am    

PayPal is no longer owned by Ebay. They were for a while. I've been using them for over 15 years, and currently average between 5 an 10 transactions a day. I've had no problems with their procedures or with privacy issues.

When I buy online, I always use PayPal if it's available. I don't want a whole bunch of businesses having my credit card numbers. As for private purchases, it depends on amount of confidence I have in the seller. If I don't have confidence and it's more than I can afford to lose, I won't buy from that person. I have confidence in forum members, especially if they have a genuine presence beyond their ads.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 11:54 am    

Actually Mike, you do not HAVE to have a PayPal account linked to a credit card. I don't have a credit card and have had a PayPal account for years. I do have it linked to my bank account though.

I also have never had an issue with PayPal. They actually went to bat for me when I got screwed one time.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 12:04 pm    

If you do any overseas transactions PayPal is almost a necessity.
They convert other forms of currency into US dollars for you. Very Happy
Erv

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 1:11 pm    

PayPal keeps your credit card info private. It also offer the buyer a warranty. Those that still accept postal money orders don't seem to realize how easy they are to forge and how much fraud there is with them in addition to the fact that your local post office is not obligated to cash them. Waiting for a personal check to clear is now a bit risky too. The bank may make the funds available after a waiting period but that does not mean that the check has cleared. Banks often wait months for a pile of checks to accumulate before they send them out to another bank to get paid for them and only THEN have they cleared. So you could find out a months after cashing a check that it was NSF and you are out the money as your bank will take it back out of your account.

Using PayPal friends and family to purchase goods is just outright fraudulent and dishonest. It deprives the buyer of a warranty while defrauding PayPal of its profit which it has rightfully earned by providing security, warranty and convenience for a mere 3% of the sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 2:12 pm    

I've had bandleaders pay me with PayPal. Cool

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 3:09 pm     Ok

I wish more had the attitude of the previous posts. My opinion is, if some doesn't want to do PayPal, a seller doesn't take PayPal "somethings up". Outside of the eBay scenario PayPal is probably the best way to give more assurance to seller and buyer. My daughter had to go to PayPal and her bank for recourse. She for some reason paid deposit with bank card and rest on PayPal on a dog purchase that the seller didn't produce. Online buying and selling is dicey but that the way it's going today.

I've seen some here on SGF that won't take PayPal. That voids my interest right there. I've bought several instruments online through eBay and one banjo on BHO and some accessories here on SGF on PayPal. So far, pretty good transactions. Some very good. One had minor freight damage but I fixed it some and wasn't the sellers fault. UPS didn't do good on that one.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 3:34 pm    

I certainly feel that PayPal earn their 3%. Transactions are instant and the funds can be in the seller's bank within a very short time.

I might bypass their system if the buyer was somebody I knew really well but such is the exception.

Aaron Johnson

Lemoore, CA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 4:13 pm    

They may need a credit card, but the card I have on file has been expired for years. I use PayPal weekly and they don't harass me about having an expired credit card on file.

I've had to use their buyer protection on more than one occasion and have had a seller make a case against me once when he didn't think I correctly described an item. In all cases they have been professional and helpful. I trust PayPal.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 5:55 pm    

I occasionally buy with Paypal, but it has been at least 15 years since I sold anything.

Can any of you describe if or how a legitimate seller is protected from a problem or possibly outright fraudulent buyer? Not theoretically and supposedly, but based on your personal experience.

Second question: I have no idea of the total fee level percentage when selling on Ebay via Paypal. If my sales are $1000 gross, how much of that will land in my pocket?, ignoring sales tax, postage, etc.

Just the dollars taken by Ebay and Paypal combined. Let's assume 50 items at 20 dollars each. A basic listing with perhaps one picture.

I have the feeling it's a lot higher than the 1990s. In that era, you could sell items at $5 each and still make it worthwhile.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 6:33 pm    

PayPal, I use it all the time if possible. I like the security of using it.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 8:41 pm     Re: Pay Pal

Wayne Ledbetter wrote:

Here's the deal. I have seen several that say won't use PayPal. Why?...Why is there a problem with some SGF members and Paypal?

I choose not to use it. Unlike a business or even a small online vendor, I can't deduct those Paypal fees from my taxes. So, if vendors won't take an alternative type of payment, I just take my business elsewhere.

Also, if you haven't had any had problems with PayPal, consider yourself lucky.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 2:22 am    

years, not a single issue . YEARS ! a kazillion purchases and sales.

One thing that u may want to consider. I opened a new CC/debit with the bank, it has no auto link to my other accounts, I feed it as necessary. This is linked to my PAYPAL account. I also use this particular card for any and all INT transactions. Yes , you have to manually keep up with the funding, it is not automatic

Regarding business transactions, there are other legal ways to deal with it.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 6:23 am    

That's great Tony, I'm happy for you. Of course, it doesn't cost the merchants anything (sellers, big and small), so they love it. They can just jack up the prices to cover the additional PayPal cost, and after awhile...nobody's the wiser because it's soooo convenient, right? Everybody's doing it, right? The buyers are the ones paying, though, and that extra 3% on a $5,000 steel is, after all, another $150. That's about $148 more than we were paying before PayPal came along. And, that's as much, or more, as it costs to pack and ship the darn thing.

Some people don't care about a hundred and fifty bucks. But I do.

Have a great day!

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 6:45 am    

I use PayPal all the time. As a buyer, no problems at all. The one thing though, as a seller, is that once your item sells, you have to wait to get your money until you have shipped, and the buyer receives the item and clears it - so it could take a couple weeks. That may be a problem for some.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 6:51 am    

Are you sure, Bobby? Last week I sold an Emmons volume pedal through the Forum. The buyer sent the money (only $120 all-in) and I transferred it immediately to my bank at that moment. It was in my account next day and the pedal was still in the mail.

Of course, this was a very 'small ticket' item. Is it different for bigger amounts?

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 7:15 am    

Great from a buyers prospective.

No one seems to have an issue with the 180 day (6 mo.) return policy???
I believe it's in the small print agreement. For used musical instruments and electronics I think (MHO) this is an outrageous policy!

If I interpreted/read this policy wrong...(seriously) please enlighten me.

Last edited by Tom Campbell on 24 Nov 2018 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 7:39 am    

About 10 years ago I tried to sell a Mu Tron III envelope filter on eBay. I was about to start grad school and selling to make ends meet, not by choice. A winning bid was received, but Paypal would not give me the funds until the buyer received the item and notified them that he was satisfied. This was their electronics policy, I was told. As I was trying to make my mortgage payment, I just couldn't wait for that to happen.
That said, I think that is a positive feature for buyers. Have had no other issues in 15 or so years with Paypal.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 9:02 am    

Reviews here appear mostly positive. I have considered PayPal a time or 2, but I've not done it yet.

Mostly for me, I don't need another account to keep up with and the additional fees for sales. I have a hard enough time trying to sell an item for a fair price, yet have enough to pay the forum. Additional fees just make for a tougher transaction.

I've never had a problem selling or buying with USPS money orders, personal or bank cheques, international or otherwise.

Transactions do take longer to complete though.

I've had several meet and greet transactions with cash in hand. Those are the ones I like. Done deal and you don't have to account to anyone else.

Good that most of you have good experiences but for now, no PayPal for me.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 10:30 am    

Pete McAvity wrote:
About 10 years ago I tried to sell a Mu Tron III envelope filter on eBay. I was about to start grad school and selling to make ends meet, not by choice. A winning bid was received, but Paypal would not give me the funds until the buyer received the item and notified them that he was satisfied. This was their electronics policy, I was told. As I was trying to make my mortgage payment, I just couldn't wait for that to happen.
That said, I think that is a positive feature for buyers. Have had no other issues in 15 or so years with Paypal.

Ebay no longer owns PayPal. The procedure you describe requires Ebay<->PayPal communication, which may have gone away by now. I've never sold anything on Ebay. To me, Ebay never looked like a good platform for selling things. Too complicated.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 10:33 am    

Yup. I thought about that, b0b. Probably no longer a PP policy.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 11:57 am    

I've had a personal and business paypal account for over a decade. Never had a problem. And most transactions I do with forum members are done through paypal. I had some bad experiences with checks where the person refused to cash the check. Apparently they had agoraphobia and couldn't leave the house. Unless I really know the seller well, I'd never buy without paypal.