The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Supro "Super" 1606 Amp
Walter Jones

Athens, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 8:57 am    

Looking for some help in when this amp was manufactured, it is in pretty good shape. I posted here because I thought it might have been used as an amp for a lap steel. I have not applied any AC to it yet, I don't want to see it go up in smoke. I will pull it down to look for anything and start from there. I think my son , Greg, has a book with a schematic in it. As always any advise is greatly appreciated.PS; Don't eat too much turkey today.

Very Happy Very Happy

Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 9:45 am    

Nice amp with 6SJ7 preamp tube, probably 6V6 power tube and 5Y3 rectifier. To me, uncertain collector value. It is wise to replace the power supply filter caps and install a grounded line cord. I think it has a multisection filter cap can. There will be room in the chassis to replace this with individual caps, and this is probably more economical than getting a new multisection can. The oval speaker looks like it is one of these 6 x 10 speakers for which there is no currently made replacement. 6 x 9 oval speakers are currently made and can be installed with a bracket. An amp company called Vintage47 makes a 6 x 9 speaker with alnico magnet but the profile of the spider and magnet might be too tall for the space. Weber VST also makes one with a smaller profile.

The schematic on the web for this amp that I found is for a version that has a 12AX7 preamp tube.

There is a great youtube video on this amp-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDCrMJ1MUj4

Jim
Before spending on parts, I would check to see if the power transformer works. Pull the chassis, remove all the tubes, and check the the power supply, recto heater and tube heater ac voltages. With the recto out, the filter caps are out of the circuit.

It would be easy to add a treble bleed tone control. Could use an input jack chassis hole for the pot. The 6SJ7 preamp tube makes for excellent tone for harmonica.

Jim

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 5:16 pm    

That amp came out about 1951, and it's very similar to the Fender "Champ", which came out only a couple of years later. Tube rectifier, octal preamp, and a single 6V6 - good for 4 or 5 watts. There were dozens of variations on it up through the 1960's, under many brand-names (National, Supro, Oahu, Valco, etc.).

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 8:47 pm    

It was my first amp around 1951 or 1952. I had a 6 string National lap steel at that time also. It was about that time my cousin showed me how to play Steel Guitar Rag.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 4:52 pm    

What Jim Rossen said about the electrolytic filter capacitors is spot on. I tell potential buyers of vintage amps to have a qualified tech check things out and NOT turn the amp on until it's done; any filter caps over 15 years old should be replaced (15-20 years is the average service life)

Of the power transformer failures I've seen over 5 decades of working on amps only a couple were NOT related to failure of one or more filter capacitors. I only check out power transformers first on amps that have been obviously modified or where a poor service or repair job has been done.

I'd take it to a qualified tech and have a complete checkup run & electrolytic caps replaced, a 3-prong plug installed (properly - about half I see have been installed incorrectly) plus other parts as required. Tubes can only be tested as far as "bad" or "functional" (not "how" good they are) using common tube testers as they don't supply the high plate voltages seen in most guitar amps. But old octal preamp tubes *should* be checked before use - bad tubes in newer amps blow fuses but in older amps there's no guarantee.

That usually runs $100-150 or so on a small amp (plus tubes if they need to be replaced. Like I said, though, I would not even turn the switch on until it's been serviced.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional