The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hilton VP issue
Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 2:53 pm    

8-9 years ago I bought a Hilton pedal and a Goodrich L-120 within about a year. At the time I was playing a GFI through a Peavey. I favored the Goodrich at the time and the Hilton went into the closet where it has stayed.
Amp and guitar have changed to a Telonics 500A and a Williams. I recently got the Hilton out to see if it still worked and how it sounded. It didn't work at first and there was static when I touched the power input on the pedal. I sprayed a little contact cleaner in there and put the plug (to the Hilton power supply) back into the pedal. It worked but still a little static if I jiggle it. No static when playing.
Since the Telonics amp has a 24v out, I tried the Telonics cable to the Hilton (a completely different cable to power the pedal) and it works but still same static when jiggled at the pedal.
So, I am thinking that the little needle thing inside the pedal's power input is loose. How it got that way sitting in my closet, I do not understand.
I am really liking the way the Hilton sounds and feels and while I don't usually reach down and jiggle the power input on my VP, I am a bit leery.
Suggestions??
thank you

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 3:24 pm    

I would ask Keith Hilton. He's a forum member and always helpful.

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2018 8:51 am    

Thanks Ian, I did not know that. I'll try to contact him.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2018 10:05 am    

The power jack on my Hilton got flakey (loose) and about like yours moving the power cord would fix it temporarily. Replacing the jack fixed the problem. I would send yours to Keith for repair.

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2018 10:25 am    

Thanks Jack!
Soon as I find out where.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2018 10:44 am    

I will try to help. I have been building Hilton pedals for 21 years. I do repair pedals no matter how old they are. I charge a flat rate shop fee of $36.00, which fixes most problems. If the repair is beyond the scope of my flat rate shop fee, I will contact the person before I proceed. My flat rate shop fee does not cover replacing a defective power supply, they are extra. I also charge what it costs me to ship the pedal back to the customer, which is $14.00. So send $50.00 with your pedal to Keith Hilton 248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721.
The problem Fred is having is one of two things. It could be the small wires inside the power cord, and power cord plug that are about to come apart. Secondly it could be the internal power plug on the pedal. Over time power cords get tripped over and crushed with the legs of a pack a seat. This puts great pressure on the cord and the connections. Many times it is not the guitar player, but someone else who happens to trip over the power cord. Normally it is the power cord or power cord plug, and not the internal power connection. Hope this information helps.

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2018 5:47 pm    

Thank you Keith. I will probably get that out to you next week after the holiday and weekend.
Now I will hate to be without it. It has been like an early Christmas rediscovering that pedal and I can't for the life of me understand what went on 8 years ago when I didn't like it and put it in the closet! Different gear, younger, less experienced ears, dumber. This has made me realize how important it is to reevaluate everything anytime there is a change with anything in the signal chain.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 6:09 am    

Keith,I sent you a couple of emails,never heard back,did I send them to the wrong address?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 6:19 pm    

Stu, I did not get any e-mails from you. My old e-mail is KLhilton@aol.com My new e-mail is hiltonkeith43@gmail.com
Hope this information helps Stu.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 11:23 pm    

Thanks Keith.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.