The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho~Bud sound in newer guitars?
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 7:50 am    

Jackson Madison ’63…
A few years back I was at the Dallas show, and I was spending some time at the Jackson room. I was trying out a Pro IV, and it was nice and all, but then David Jackson unplugs it from the vp and carts it away, and comes back with their Madison 63 model. The first one, with the pull release changer and the lowering rods at the keyhead. Man, that thing was alive! It felt like I had stuck my finger in a light socket, it was so alive. I should’ve bought it right then and there. It was absolutely the closest thing I’ve ever heard to that authentic Sho-Bud sound.
That’s my story & I’m sticking to it…

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 7:52 am    

Great rendition of that version (my favorite) of Farewell Party!

My idea of the ultimate "Bud" tone - for me anyway. I labored about getting this tone on a subject I posted, and the consensus was - buy a Bud, a pot pedal and a tube amp. I get a great classic tone with my Legend, an Alumitone and my Twin, and am pretty happy with it.

https://youtu.be/ViY2WXvVXYU?list=PLDIG6OVJm7ZBTM1ljseRPcRY72EPflsAz

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 1:03 am    

I’m dragging this thread back! Question: if you were a Sho~Bud devotee (I play a 6139) but needed something light and stable for traveling, what would come closest to satisfying the Bud itch?

Caveat being that the budget will likely top out at $2500.

Thanks in advance.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 1:38 am    

To those who put Show Pro as the guitar that sounds closest to the Sho~Bud tone, IMHO I have to say no, no, no.

There may be some cosmetic tip of the hat features on the Show Pro, including the changer mounting and the tuner head. I have owned several Sho~Buds in my life - Pro 1, 2, 3 and Super Pro - and still have my Pro 111 Custom. I have owned a pair of Show Pro D10's, and still have a custom Show Pro that Jeff Surratt built for me. My Show Pro has a bigger tone than any of my 'Buds, and definitely more sustain. Scale length could have something to do with it, and also the fact that Show Pros sound superb with Lawrence humbuckers on them. Sho~Buds sound way better with single coils for that classic tone.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Cody Stewart

Traverse City Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2019 3:56 pm    

My vote is for the Franklin. Most don't realize that Paul Sr. was monumental in the design of the late 70's and early 80's Buds.