The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speakers, Low Volume vs High Volume
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 4:11 pm    

I know this is different but I changed the speaker in my amp. At home when I play at a low volume it is ok. When I go out and play at a louder volume I struggle to get what I get at home. I have a friend who tells me the same thing about him amp with the same brand speaker I put in mine. Just curious if anyone else feels the same way or had the same experience.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 4:16 pm    

I find that just about every amp sounds different at gigging volume compared to at home.

Same with effects patches - I always have to tweak at full volume rehearsals and fine tume at soundcheck. Settings will usually be completely different to how they would be in my front room (in fact I rarely use one of my gigging amps at home - I have a couple of little practice amps I use).

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 7:23 pm    

When you play at home you are listening to 100% of your audio and you hear those subtle qualities. When your gigging , a large percentage of your attention to audio is with the band so the subtle quality appears to diminish to you. This also occurs when the bands volume overrides some of the harmonics and purity of the tone your steel has.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 12:15 am    

Speakers sound different at stage volume that they do at low volume.
Sometimes high powered speakers, good for stage, are not that pleasing in a practice room.
One way to deal with this is to keep your home setup and bring an extension cab to the live gig.
Or simply use a different rig for your loud gigs and home practice.
John

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 12:29 am    

First off, no info on your speaker and your amp, what's going on at home vs at the gig, so there is a universe of unknowns.

When you play at home you are the only sound source (I assume) and there is the cabin gain effect of being in an enclosure that contains the sound. Also where you play in your home, the size of the room, height of the ceiling, hard floors, carpet, furniture will all play a part in what you hear.

As mentioned, when you join in with others in a band lots of competition for sound, phase cancellation of similar frequencies among all the instruments and things change. Your amp/speaker is now inefficient for the task.

Since you didn't mention the size, model, brand, impedance of your speaker and what amp, we are unable to give a better answer.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 2:55 am    

i gotta say that playing louder is just plain harder. when my wife leaves the house i unplug my deluxe and plug in the twin and i practice at gig volume.

i'll also say that some speakers fail to deliver a good pedal steel sound at high volumes. this is why most folks run jbl, altec, black widow, ev or pedal steel specific speakers.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 3:35 am    

I have a Peavey Nashville 112 amp I have used for years. I installed a Fox mod kit in it as well. Like everyone else I thought that I would try a different speaker. I put it in and it just is not the same and is not better IMHO. I will not name the brand because this company has a great history with their products. I found it odd that a friend told me the same thing before I installed it in mine. Another friend told me he sold his amp with that speaker. At any rate, I put the original back in my amp. Everyone has different taste in product and sound. Thanks for all the input.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 3:51 am    

Paul King wrote:
company has a great history with their products. I put the original back in my amp.

Speakers are chosen by the amp makers to match the amp's specs. No aspersions on the unnamed historical speaker, just must be a mismatch.

In wanting to swap out a speaker, you as owner/tech must research the next speaker knowing what the original is mostly about and what the next speaker's specs are, to get an improvement. Otherwise you would need a lot of time money and effort to swap out dozens to find one by trial and error.

As in recording the $4000 microphone isn't always the best mic for the job when the job calls for a $100 mic.

Case to case basis.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 10:47 am    

I know others who have replaced the same speaker in their amps and love it. Just did not work for me and that is ok. No bashing from me just did not get what I thought that I would get out of a different speaker.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 9:00 pm     Re: Speakers, Low Volume vs High Volume

Paul King wrote:
I know this is different but I changed the speaker in my amp. At home when I play at a low volume it is ok. When I go out and play at a louder volume I struggle to get what I get at home.

What you're hearing is probably inter-modulation distortion. Put simply, that's a speaker's inability to reproduce different frequencies at the same time. The problem also gets far worse with increases in volume...the louder you play, the worse it gets. Still, some speakers are better than others. (And now you know why hi-fi systems have different speakers for different frequencies.) Unfortunately, we're all using the absolute worst speaker system you can imagine - one size speaker in a cheap box. Oh Well

Trial and error is what we're stuck with.

Lyle Dent

Little Rock ,Arkansas
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 1:37 pm     Low vs high volume

Paul, I use a Nashville 112 for everything. When playing at home it’s just the amp but with the band I use either the XLR direct out or mic to the board. That lets me use the amp as my monitor and we set the big speaker levels and monitors during sound check. Our bass player is also has the board in front of him if I need more but usually don’t. I think this has helped me hear what I play and also the mix. Hope this helps.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 4:13 am    

Thanks everyone for their input. I put the original speaker back in the amp. Somewhere down the line I may try a different brand speaker. Right now I am back where I was which to me is better.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 4:39 pm    

My experience is the same. I have not found a speaker that sounds better in the NV-112 than the stock Blue Marvel. They sound different, but don't seem to reproduce the fullness that I am used to.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 3:25 am    

Thanks Clyde for your input. As I stated I know others who have changed speakers in the 112 and love it. Just did not work for me.