The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peace On Earth with Mike Daly
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2018 8:37 am    

Getting with the American spirit of starting the Christmas season before Thanksgiving, I want to give a shout out to a great player and a wonderful and thoroughly original Christmas album.

Simply, I love Mike Daly's CD Peace on Earth. It's not a new release, but one I happened to put on recently after too long a time. I frankly was looking for some interesting arrangements of Christmas tunes not often played on steel to possibly add to my own repertoire for the upcoming season. The arrangements of these tunes are WAY above my pay grade. Smile

Most of the tunes aren't new to us, but the arrangements sure are, and they're played and recorded with such originality, finesse and feeling! Mike plays steel, Weissenborn, and resonator guitar on the selections. And the arrangements are loaded with surprises that beg close listening, and not put on low volume for background seasonal ambience. This is not that kind of album. this is pay-attention listening music. Currently my favorites are "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire," "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," "I Heard the Bells On Christmas Day," and "Joy To The World."

I don't know if the CD is still in print, but if you're interested you might contact Mike here on the Forum. BTW, Mike has no idea I've posted this review. I just really like the music contained therein.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2018 4:51 pm    

Apparently still available..
https://www.amazon.com/Peace-Earth-Mike-Daly-2013-08-03/dp/B01KAQM326

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2018 5:08 pm     Great CD!

I still have a few in stock:

www.steelguitarshopper.com/search.php?search_query=Daly

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 2:27 pm    

Thanks Herb for the kind review. Yes, true to your thoughts, these arrangements of some classic Christmas music takes some challenging and unexpected turns with a steel or slide guitar front and center at every curve. Thank you for intently listening and enjoying the spirit of this recording. And yes, it is still in print and available @ Amazon and through Bob here at the Steel Forum...Bob has two versions available; the blue cover is an EP and the cover featuring a pic of the world 🌎 is the complete album..

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 2:35 pm    

For anyone interested, the world 🌎 cover is a much more complete picture of the concept. New tracks, additional musicians, and remixed and remastered.. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all..

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2018 7:03 am    

Here is a Spotify link as well..
Peace On Earth by Mike Daly on Spotify
open.spotify.com/album/2sdf2vlPMSBFzYggsla9xj