The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Push Pull Question
winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 7:56 am    

I will start out by saying I have read the push pull tuning sticky notes, my problem is not there that I saw I tuned the guitar like they said and everything is fine except the 4th string lower. It will almost lower but not quite. I have the lowering tuner screw,(4th hole in top row) not even touching the tuner thinking it may be stopping the string from lowering enough. The guitar seems to have enough play between the lowering and raising rods. It seems the changer has ran out of room to let the string lower enough. Any help would be appreciated. BTW I have changed the 4 string and it is a .014. thanks Winston May

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 8:32 am    

Smart to post all the info you posted. If there is indeed enough slack to lower the 4th to D#. Sounds like you need to reset the 4th string lowering collar so it will push the 4th string just a tiny bit more.

Most important on P/Ps. Is to tune the lowers first. By pressing the changer finger with your hand-a finger. Make sure the lowering rod is pushing all the way to the hand tuned stop. Then Hand tune the changer and set the raises. Hope this makes sense.

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 8:39 am     Push Pull Question

Winston,

Your problem could be caused by several things.

Are the return springs too tight? Are either bell cranks loose on the cross bar? Are your drop rods set up properly? No spring on the 4th string drop rod and a short spring (1/4" or so) on the 8th string. Can you manually (using your finger, not the lever) push the lowering fingers for the 4th and 8th strings against the tuning screws to make sure the drops are both in tune at that point? If so, that probably means you have enough slack in the raise rod for the C pedal and that the F lever setup has enough backlash for it not to be binding things up. Is the stop on the link rod (set collar against the L bracket) preventing the travel of the 4th string finger from bottoming out? If not, you just may need to back off slightly on the 8th string set collar (next to that short spring by the bell crank swivel) to allow the 4th string finger to hit its stop screw (when using the lever to drop both strings). Or, conversely (As Bobby mentioned above) slightly moving the set collar for the 4th string a bit closer to the swivel could possibly help.

Ideally, you want both strings 4 and 8 to bottom out simultaneously against their tuning screws. When that happens, the link rod stop set collar should be bottomed out against the L bracket.

It a fairly complex system to digest, but once you do, it's pretty easy for one to trouble shoot.

I hope this information helps you figure out your issue.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Last edited by Lynn Stafford on 13 Nov 2018 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 8:40 am    

You may want to check to see if the collar on the rod that tightens the return spring for the lowering finger may have slipped. This would prevent the string from returning all the way to the neutral position. If that happened, the finger would not have enough room to allow it to lower the string all the way.

winston

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 9:45 am    

Thanks for the help fellows. I am going to try all this and see what happens. I will be back with my results later. winston may

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 10:22 am    

Embarassed If I'd had any idea Lynn was going to reply to this. I would have stayed out. I just kinda hit things in the high places. Where as Lynn offered a very detailed, pretty much covered every possibly reply. And he's much better at conveying his thoughts to print than me. I feel like I've just been followed by Tommy White at a steel jam. Whoa! The fact that guy's like Lynn and Jerry Roller share their knowledge here is a real treasure. A lot of guy's that do this kind of work to supplement their income will not. We're a lucky bunch.

b.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 10:47 am    

Bobby Boggs wrote:
The fact that guy's like Lynn and Jerry Roller share their knowledge here is a real treasure. A lot of guy's that do this kind of work to supplement their income will not. We're a lucky bunch.

Amen.

winston

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 12:00 pm    

Bobby,"I feel like I've just been followed by Tommy White at a steel jam." Laughing Laughing Laughing that was funny

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 6:14 pm    

Make sure that there is a little bit of a gap between the raise puller and the collar it fits against.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2018 8:52 pm    

Pay close attention to what Lynn said about the E to F half stop. Bobby, thank you!
Jerry

winston

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 6:16 am    

Thanks to everyone that commented. You helped me fix the guitar. It is now playing fine and sounding great. My next adventure if I decide to keep the guitar is to change the setup. It is now setup Jimmy Day and I play the Emmons setup on pedals, ShoBud setup on the knees. This may be a lot more than I will be able to do. As Lynn said, "It a fairly complex system to digest, but once you do, it's pretty easy for one to trouble shoot". thanks again. Winston May