The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  steel sound on Beach Boys tune
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 5:01 pm    

here's a short clip of Al Vescovo's steel on a Beach Boys song called Be Here In The Morning from the album Friends. they've just released some outtakes from the sessions, including an extended version of Al's instrumental Diamond Head which appeared on the same album.

anyway, listen to this clip. I'm trying to figure out how he got this "shimmery" effect, for lack of a better word:

https://picosong.com/wjUiY/

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 7:23 pm    

Since it was recorded in 1968 most likely, there weren’t too many effects options other than tape echo, studio flanging and Leslie rotary speakers. I’d have to surmise it was a Leslie on slow rotary speed. Just a guess.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 8:00 pm    

good guess.

they used a Leslie on some of the chorus vocals for this song too. cutting edge at the time I suppose.

here's Al's instrumental Diamond Head. I love that there's a pedal C6 tune on my favorite Beach Boys album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcqBhJXJoio