The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tolex replacement on case
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2018 11:01 am    

How difficult is it to recover/replace worn tolex on an older but otherwise solid PSG case?
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2018 11:49 am    

I've built several steel cases, effects cases, steel seats, etc. I wouldn't do it, I'd buy a new case.

It can be done but is a major undertaking. Basically the best way is to strip it down completely, inside and out. Put new Tolex on and then the inside (I use crushed velour).

If you just want the Tolex, depending on how the hardware is attached you may still have to loosen/remove the inside lining, especially if split rivets are used. If just screws you will still, at a minimum have to loosen and remove the sides to get to the Tolex that is wrapped around and glued to the inside of the sides. This is why I say if you are going to do it, the best way is to strip it and replace the inside and outside. If the hardware is installed with split rivets, best to get new split rivets as there will be holes that are likely too big for screws.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2018 6:48 am    

Jack is 100% right, no way it's worth it IMHO. Call Wade at Thomas and order a new one...

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2018 10:18 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I've built several steel cases, effects cases, steel seats, etc. I wouldn't do it, I'd buy a new case.

It can be done but is a major undertaking. Basically the best way is to strip it down completely, inside and out. Put new Tolex on and then the inside (I use crushed velour).

If you just want the Tolex, depending on how the hardware is attached you may still have to loosen/remove the inside lining, especially if split rivets are used. If just screws you will still, at a minimum have to loosen and remove the sides to get to the Tolex that is wrapped around and glued to the inside of the sides. This is why I say if you are going to do it, the best way is to strip it and replace the inside and outside. If the hardware is installed with split rivets, best to get new split rivets as there will be holes that are likely too big for screws.

I have a used case that’s in great shape as far as the body and hardware and interior it just has a couple tears and holes in the Tolex and I was thinking maybe cut new Tolex to fit the lid and bottom of case and apply adhesive to old Tolex and cover over as a quick fix possibly
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2018 2:06 pm    

Sounds like a patching will work, at least for a while.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2018 2:41 pm    

Guitar players pay to have their stuff professionally "beaten up".
Think of it as free relic-ing!

Pookie Anselmi

Galliano, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2018 6:23 am    

If you look up Stewmac videos on youtube, you'll fine Dan Erlewine patching in a piece of tolex on an old amp.
That might help you.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2018 1:24 pm    

Pookie Anselmi wrote:
If you look up Stewmac videos on youtube, you'll fine Dan Erlewine patching in a piece of tolex on an old amp.
That might help you.

Thanks!