The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lashley Legrande II changer problem
Gary Hegland

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2018 11:53 am    

Recently I noticed that the 4th string lower on E9 is not returning all the way. I can press on the finger from under the guitar and it snaps back to zero for lack of a better word. Doesn't have anything to do with the pull rod. I've owned the guitar for 14 years and have never lubed the changer Sad
It doesn't get heavy use. Does this sound like a lubrication issue? I imagine so. Is there anything else I can look for?
I figure I'll order some tri-flow. I don't think I can get any in my small city.

Thanks!

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2018 1:41 pm    

It might be from a lack of lubrication, or gunk buildup, but most likely it's just a slightly weak return spring. You can tighten the spring. It's best to loosen that string first, then gently unhook the spring from the lowering scissor. Slip a thin screwdriver blade into the slotted screw head between the screw and the end plate to hold the adjusting screw steady, and rotate the spring clockwise a couple of turns to increase tension. Reconnect, re-tune.

Try to avoid over-tightening the spring as it will just make the lower lever action stiffer, and can eventually start to adversely effect the raises on that string. It might take a couple of tries, you want it just tight enough to make sure it always returns firmly on a lower, and that the lowering scissor does not lift off the stop on the longest raise (probably the C pedal in your case).

If you do add new lubricant, apply it sparingly, and be sure to wipe off any excess immediately.

Gary Hegland

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 2:32 pm    

Worked like a charm Ian!
I didn't know how to tighten the spring. Not real obvious since the screw heads are blocked by the template. Duh! One drop of lube and one turn of the spring and now it's all good.

Thanks!

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2018 4:52 pm    

😀

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.