The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter micro pro mach 2
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2018 7:06 am    

Anyone using a Quilter micro pro 1x12 mach 2 with good results?
I seen a video using the new HD model that has a different speaker. I am looking at the previous model which I believe has a Celestian 12 in it.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2018 6:47 pm    

I have the older 200 model in the 12" combo and love it. I replaced the Celestion with a Weber 12F150. I picked up the Mach 2 head, but didn't like it as much as the older 200. Pat Quilter says they're not that different, but I could not get anything like the sound of the 200 on the Mach 2.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 2:59 am    

Thanks Dan. What didn't you like about the stock speaker? Is the Weber a bit darker? Did you try the head with the Weber for comparison? Seems odd it would be that different.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 3:32 am    

Several moving parts here:

My combo is the older Micropro 200
The head I bought was the Micropro Mach 2 (i.e., the updated version of the Micropro line)

What I was after was the sound I was getting from my combo Micropro (200: older version) from a separate head that I could couple with my 15" JBL for louder gigs. I bought the newer Mach 2 Head version of the Micropro beacause that's what's readily available. The updated Micropro was tweaked a bit, and sounds good for six string but, in my opinion, added a chimey sound that doesn't sit well with steel, or at least doesn't match the tone I'm after.

The original speaker in the Micropro 200 combo sounded good, but it is a lead guitar speaker. I went with an old reliable steel speaker which did indeed tame the high end a bit. I would have been fine with the stock Celestion but, you know, always chasing the tone-tail....

I have since picked up the older, "200," version of the Micropro Head and should be all set. Will gig it for the first time at a couple of familiar rooms next week.

I love my LTD and my Twin Reverb, and the LTD is pretty reasonable (with a lighter Weber California replacing the stock JBL: @50 lbs). The Twin is not reasonable, but it sounds so damn good that I still drag it out once or twice year at outdoor gigs. But if I've learned anything about my back in the past ten years it is that everything is cumulative. I can cart that LTD in and out of my car to gigs for months and not feel any consequences. Then I'll be bending over to pick up a gum wrapper one day and, WHAM!, months of lifting heavy equipment takes its toll.

Oh to be 25 and hauling a twin and whatever steel I like around. *sigh* (Heck: I'd settle for 35!!)

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 7:25 am    

Thanks Dan. I agree on the back troubles after the fact. I have 2 twin reverbs, the 135 watt and a 80 watt. The 135 had JBLs and I loved it. Like you it took its toll. I have a Quilter micropro mach 2 coming with the 12 inch speaker stock. I may have to rethink the tone if it's harsh. Fun never ends. My Session 400 stays at home.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 7:28 am    

Lots of people here like the Mach2 combo for steel (Jon Light, for one). The 200 just comes closer to capturing the sound in my head (but fortunately, not the voices in my head).

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 4:59 pm    

Dan, that's funny. If I can sound half as good as I want to I'd be happy. That endless search for tone has cost us plenty. Never just one and done. Thanks for your help. [/list]

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2018 8:06 pm    

Well I got the micropro mach 2 and spent some time dialing it in. Decent tone and good balance. Sounds wicked with my telecaster. Still working on the sweet spot for the steel. I think its a keeper.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 3:05 am    

FWIW: I set the first selector to "Scoop" and the Voice knob to "Full Q." Reverb, Limiter, and Trem off completely; bass @1;00-3:00; mid @6:00-8:00; treble @ 12:00. Gain, Booost, Master, and Hi cut completely dependent on the situation.

Gigged with the 200 version twice last week (through a Peavey/JBL in a closed-back cab) and was very happy.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 4:54 am    

Dan,thanks for that info, I will try it. I did try a Peavey E115 in an open back tweed cabinet. It was a big sound but needed some tweaking to tame the highs. Has the Black Widow 15 not sure which version.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2018 7:59 am    

The Quilter amps are extremely speaker dependent. They take on the personality of whatever speaker you run them through.

I own a MicroPro Mach2 8 inch combo, and I used to have a Tone Block 200 head. Quilter makes great products. I really love my Mach2 8 inch combo. It is a great all purpose amp that I gig multiple times each week on electric guitar, acoustic and banjo. It does a great job live with those instruments. The 8 inch combo is loaded with a speaker that is closer to a pro audio driver than a traditional guitar speaker. I have been using mine with my psg with fine results, and I would not hesitate in bringing it to a gig.

However, I do think you could get a sweeter sound, perfect for a psg by using a different speaker. I have run my Mach 2 through a 1x12 loaded with a Telonics speaker. It sounded great, but very different. I tend to think that the psg loves a stiffer speaker.

I am thinking about buying another Quilter. This time I am buying a head to pair with a cabinet.....specifically for psg. I’m having trouble deciding on which head to buy. But Ido know that I want it to be a lighter alternative to my 66 Pro Reverb. For that reason I will be running a cabinet loaded with either 1 or 2 Weber 12F150’s, to get that Fender sound.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 4:57 pm    

Thanks for the info Charley. I got the Mach 2 with its 12 inch Celestion speaker. It sounds good but not great with pedal steel. Still dialing in my tone. Haven't tried Dans setting yet. I will post the results soon.