The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roland Mobile Cube for a pedal steel practice amp
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 7:14 am    

It's been well documented that the Mobile Cube is a fine little amp for lap steel. Has anyone tried one for E9 pedal steel? My Micro Cube won't cut it, and my Cube Street is only marginally better.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 12:12 pm    

MC is ok for E9, not so good for C6... low notes suffer. Otherwise it’s a great addition to your kit... my go-to practice amp.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 6:40 am    

Thank you for your reply, Stephen. I found a Mobile Cube for a bargain price and am anxious to give it a try with my student model push/pull. Hoping it will be a tad cleaner sounding with better string separation than my other Cubes.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 2:57 pm    

Just returned home from a two-plus week junket to the Promised Land and back. Thanks to FedEx, my (almost) new Mobile Cube was waiting on the roof rack of my minivan. (Glad it doesn't rain much in these parts.)

I hooked up my newly acquired bowlin' ball 'mica GS-10, and lo and behold -- it's a significant upgrade soundwise from my Micro Cubes and Cube Street. A great clean sound, unlike the Micros, significantly better string separation, and a high G# that is actually audible.

It won't cut it in a gigging situation -- it's just not loud enough. But it's a wonderful little practice amp, which is exactly what I was looking for.