The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  bud carter mci second edition .need info history
chuck abend

Kansas City,Mo.64155 U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 11:57 am    

I've researched and can't find a single post or information on a MCI 2nd Edition guitar by Carter.
Does any one have any info on this second Edition
MCI.You can view it on the page 2-- for sale steel guitars.Jim Smith didn't have a Clue,that worked there. Thanks Chuck

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 7:43 am    

I know that "MCI" came first, and it was later changed to "EMCI". I don't know what "2nd Edition" might mean...never heard of it myself. Similarly, I've also heard people talk of a "Mark 1" Fender pedal steel, and a "Special Edition" Mullen pedal steel. But guess what? They never made either one, these were designations that some player just made up. To that end, "2nd Edition" might mean something about how it was made, who made it, or where it was built. We just don't know unless we talk to that person.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 7:47 am    

Donny,
That E in EMCI, was that for Emmons?
Erv

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 5:55 pm    

No don't think so.....there was a post years ago about this....and I think the post was by Buddy Emmons himself. MCI Steel Guitars was involved in a legal battle with another company called MCI over naming rights and some how Buddy Emmons suggested MCI to EMCI..so where "M" became "EM"...and Bud Carter or whoever was making the guitars thought it was a good idea and went with it. It seems at the time Buddy was playing a MCI...which would account for how he was involved. Maybe Ernie Renn can give better details....

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 11:57 am    

When I bought my '86 MCI Arlington many months ago I found many threads discussing the history of MCI/EMCI. Here's one that I saved the link Winking

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=257227&highlight=mci

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 8:33 pm    

Here's hoping someone here can give you all the information you seek.

I don't know which era is considered second edition Bud Carter model and I defer to the more informed and knowledgeable sources.

Here's info from other threads including Buddy's reply concerning the EMCI badge.

I only know this from some extensive research I've done and not first hand.

There was this edition that Curly Chalker et al played.
It had a different decal. I believe it was at least one wood apron.

There was a Waco model MCI that had a wood ft. apron.

After that was an Arlington model. and following that was the RangExpander model which was an all welded aluminum frame with a butcher block deck. The one I had was from 1986.

There was also an edition that had this same MCI globe decal but with Bud Carter's name underneath it.

I'm just not sure where this edition and the edition played by Chalker fit in chronologically.

Then there was MusiConicsIncorporated builds.
And I believe then ultimately acquired by the Fred Gretsch company that owned Sho-Bud at the time.

At some time or other, John Birkhead was involved and the name Intertek was in there somewhere.

There were several different pedal bars, pedals, pickups etc. used on these various models.

As far as I can tell, the EMCI was the final build of the series of pedal steels.

Concerning the "E" addition, it had nothing to do with Buddy Emmons.

Here is a post by E that tells that story.

Buddy Emmons wrote:
In the interest of truth versus second hand smoke, I�ll supply the real reason for the E in front of MCI, which had nothing to do with my last name.
I received a call from John Birkhead saying he had to change the name of the guitar. I told him I was sorry to hear it because the MCI name was starting to gain recognition and a change at this stage might be confusing to potential customers. He asked if I had any suggestions and I said, �Yes, put an E in front of the MCI, separate the EM from the C, and place dots after C and I. Then the logo will read EM C.I. and still be pronounced MCI. John said he liked the idea, but designed the logo as EMCI with no separations, which gave the guitar a new name and left the reasoning behind it to the imagination.
<FONT><p>[This message was edited by Buddy Emmons on 29 April 2004 at 07:28 AM

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 7:45 pm    

I think the version that Curly Chalker played was the Waco model, following this was a non-welded frame model - which looked just like the welded frame later versions !
Then came the Rangexpander (I have a 86 version which I got new) ... this is a welded frame version and was built in Arlington - this was then followed up with the last generation EMCI welded frame, which was also built in Arlington!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.