The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  renewing undercarriage
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 3:12 am    

I am thinking of renewing the undercarriage of my Sho-Bud super pro D10, is their a kit i can buy to do this. not Sho-Bud parts but somthing more up to date.

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 5:04 am    

Queenie!! don`t mess with it! give it a squirt of something and get yourself a peterson tuner
John

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 5:15 am    

Hi John , nice to see you, are you still working with robbo? . I,m backing Eric Faulkner from the Bay City Rollers on sunday night. How country is that?

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 5:38 am    

John,
Save your time and money. Send it to Duane and Jeff at Marrs Music. The do a great retrofit with an all new system.(
615) 754-4856

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 5:45 am    

Thanks Bob, I live in Spain, what it would cost to ship it to the USA I could buy a new Carter or Mullins.

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 6:07 am    

Yes John,
BUT, You wouldn't have a great playing, sounding Sho~Bud.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 6:19 am    

True, i could do the job myself if i can get hold of the bit and bobs

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 6:48 am    

IMHO, the undercarriage noise is part of the character of a Sho-Bud, just as the noise emanating from a Harley Panhead.

I always kept my undercarriage wrapped with a generous supply of foam, and focused on the "topside"! However, my wife always said she could still hear the rods rattling from 3 or 4 rows back in the audience!

------------------

WEBSITE

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 7:08 am    

Trouble is there is a lot of wear and 2 broken kneelevers and where the pedal rods connect the holes have become elongated and sloppy , so i thought if i can get hold of kit to renew all the underneath components
eccept the changers i would do it myself.
there is no where here in Spain to get parts for steel guitars, hard to get strings and things. thanks again..

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 9:25 am    

JR.

If you're just renewing a few fingers, levers, swivels etc, I'd do it yourself.

Duane Marrs last I checked had lots of SB original parts, as do several folks. I imagine you'll get some responses that will fit your situation. It's a great bunch of guys here.

Lots of parts are just ordinary hardware store hardware. I dunno about Super Pros but many guitars could do with stouter knee levers and atachment points, stops etc. to begin with.

JMO.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 9:57 am    

John, please don't interpret my attempt at humor as meaning to trivialize your query, because it is a real problem. Eric is right-on with his advice.

When my Super-Pro's "pot-metal" parts began to deteriorate and fall off in my lap in the 1980's, there was not the availability of parts that are available today. I sent my broken parts to a machinist to duplicate them in a more durable alloy, and the changers to a machinist who worked at Tinker Air Force Base and duplicated them in a space=age alloy.

My point is, if there is one, is that I successfully installed those replacement parts on my Super-Pro even tho I had no appreciable mechanical skills.

I'm saying...that if you can find the parts to order, that you can do the work. Good luck and best wishes to you.

------------------

WEBSITE

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2006 1:17 am    

"hard to get strings and things. thanks again.."
John,you can have more strings anytime...just give me your address, I post them to Frank Bloomfield in Corfu he gets them no problem............

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2006 3:01 am    

Hi John , Thanks for your offer, I'll check out my stock and let you know what i need,
Are you doing single strings or full packs.
We may be moving to a new adress so i'll let you know what it is then....Thanks

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2006 5:46 am    

John, if you need just replacement parts sent over, just these names spring to mind. John Coop, Duanne Marrs, Ricky Davis, and of course Bobby Seymour. There may be more. John Coop has donated a lovely white fret board to my burned Sho-Bud which is being renovated...rather rebuilt by David Langdon,here in England. Thank you for signing my guest book, I remember you when you had that mop of curly hair and so did I....way back, and we both had the same colour (red) ZB guitars.....Often wonder where those guitars are now

Micky Byrne, Carter Universal (Black)of course Lol and soon to be ressurected Sho-Bud universal http://mickybyrne.50webs.com/index.html

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2006 7:34 am    

Hi Micky,I loved your playing you had a great sound. Are you still gigging ?. I had some cowboy try to play my steel when i left the stage he broke two knee leaves , one for the c6th and one for the e9th, never had a chanceht i to replace them until now.
I'm doing a bit of work with Ricky Valance here in spain, Tonight i'm with Eric Faulkner (Bay City Rollers) Drugs are us lol
I hope to catch with you sometime when i'm back in the UK. I'v still got hair but a little shorter these days.
Have made a full recovery now, You'v been through a tough time by the sounds of it..
Anyway thanks for the info about the guitar parts i'll look in to it...
Take care of yourself but keep fretting John