The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fredrick Augusta Heberlin 1/2 size violin 1928 ( new price)
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 9:54 pm    

I’m reposting this so edited this 1st part. If some of you Dads or Granddads out there have a small child that is taking violin and don’t mind paying just a little more for a nice playing and sounding 1/2 size violin, then this is for you. This is not one of those screechy sounding student violins. This is a high quality great sounding and playing instrument. It was made in 1928 so it’s about 100 years old and does have a few scratches and blemishes typical of its age. It is however very sturdy and tunes up well and stays in tune.I broke my shoulder in March of 2019 and really hurt me to play fiddle so I slipped my Barcus Berry bridge pickup on this one and played it because was easier to reach. No one knew the difference in sound. I’m asking $500 plus shipping. It doesn’t have a case or bow so for the 500, I’ll get a good case and 1/2 size bow for it. You can buy violins on internet all day for 50 bucks but that’s what you get, a 50 dollar instrument.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Last edited by Henry Matthews on 22 Feb 2022 8:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2018 9:57 am    

Hummm, thought someone would be interested in this for a child learning fiddle or violin. If someone on here knows anything about this maker or what it’s really worth, please pm or email me. I was just told by a person that deals in fiddles that is was worth 1000 plus is reason I priced it at 850. All offers considered, thanks

The name inside is Fredrick Augusta Heberlin, 1928

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2018 12:33 pm    

There was a whole family of makers with the last name Heberlein who worked in the Markneukirchen area from around 1700 on. Some of them, especially Heinrich Theodor Heberlein, Jr. were very well known and produced very fine instruments. In consulting my Dictionary of Violin Makers by William Henley, the Heberlin name does not show up.

I deal in full size violins and student instruments. Generally, student instruments do not have as much value as full size. A good sounding older European violin in full size will easily be worth $1000 or more, but the 1/2 size not so much. The availability of really nice Chinese instruments at very reasonable prices has further lowered the value of vintage small size violins.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2018 9:50 pm    

Thanks very much Larry, I had no idea what it’s worth and didn’t know that half size don’t bring much. I was just basing price on what a person had told me that dabbled in trading and buying fiddles or violins. It has a very good sounding instrument and doesn’t sound like a half size violin. Most all of the half size I’ve played are just squeeky toy sounding instruments.
I too have googled that name and haven’t been able to find anything on it.

Last edited by Henry Matthews on 22 Feb 2022 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 11:02 pm    

I may not be spelling the name right but can’t believe some one would make an instrument of this caliber and be an unknown. It looks like Heberlin to me but may be something else. It’s in hand writing.
Bump to top

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2022 8:49 pm    

Bump

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 3:04 pm    

I do not claim to be any type of expert on violins. However, I suspect that you have mis-spelled the name. There was a Friedrich August Heberlein violin during the early part of the 20th century. All of the ones I see are 4/4 - e.g.,

ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/254796927886

reverb - https://reverb.com/item/32292086-a-fine-violin-by-friedrich-august-heberlein-circa-1902 and https://reverb.com/item/43423138-4-4-friedrich-august-heberlein-violin-1907

Brompton's - https://www.bromptons.co/reference/makers/details/heberlein-friedrich-august.html

selectviolins.com - https://www.selectviolins.com/e11/heberlein.html

The last link suggests the following:
Quote:
... Friedrich is not listed in the violin dictionary as a maker. Friedrich August Heberlein is probably a trade or model name used to designate it as different from the higher-priced Heinrich Th. Heberlein Jr. violins. This violin has an exceptional tone evaluation!

And I agree with Larry that student violins less than 4/4 size will tend to bring a lot lower prices than 4/4 because they are intended as temporary instruments to be used by smaller children as they are beginning, to be replaced in time by better instruments. My experience running a music store was that most parents are not interested in dropping a lot of money on a beginner's instrument. And I think that's true for most instruments, not just violin.