The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good Mini Overdrive for PSG?
Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 2:36 pm    

I’m putting together a small pedal board (pedaltrain nano) and I’ve got it rigged kind of crazily : PSG > TS9> VP> EQ> Delay> Amp

The pedal board also has an older Peterson strobe pedal on it that’s out of the signal chain.

It’s pretty crowded and I’m not loving the TS9 as the bypassed signal sounds kind of “box-y” in the low end.

Anyone use a mini OD? If so, what’s the one for PSG? Curious about input impedance and such .I love my Earth Drive (700k) the most but it lives in my guitar rig and really wouldn’t solve the space issue and I definitely don’t want a bigger pedalboard .

Any advise appreciated!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 3:26 pm    

I had to go up one size on the board--I think it's a Metro? Just couldn't get it done with the smaller board.
It's got an Earth Drive and because I needed something full-on in your face it's got a nano Big Muff. But a huge surprise that I'm digging a lot is a Pigtronix micro compressor with a germanium transistor. I use it for just a bit of grit and I'm loving it.
It is NOT transparent. Even when you use the blend pot the compressor darkens your tone. But I just thought I'd mention it. I use it a lot more than I expected to. Can't beat the footprint.

https://www.prymaxe.com/collections/effects-brands/products/pigtronix-philosopher-s-tone-germanium-gold-micro-compressor-demo

Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 6:37 pm    

I've been using one of these for a couple of years and I like it for steel as well as underarm guitar.

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 7:45 pm    

Bob and Jon, thanks for the suggestions!! I’ll check in on these units for sure.

Main concern for me is the bypassed tone and not overloading a pedal with a hot PSG pickup. Not sure what my pickup’s output is but it’s HOT compared to my Tele.

I use the overdrive mainly for quick 4 to 16 bar moments.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 6:55 am    

Buddy Cage used the Boss Tone that plugs into your output jack.
Seems easy to use in short bursts for Steel, and easy to plug in or remove on the songs you use it on.
There is a reissue out by a company called Mahoney Buzz Tone.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 7:11 am    

I'd try the Sarno Earth Drive. Very Happy
Erv

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 7:16 pm    

I've been using a Grass OD pedal (like the one Bob Russell posted above) and a Tone City Bad Horse. The Tone city is a clone of the legendary Klon OD pedal and is really transparent. I'll even play major thirds with it, which I never do with any other OD or Distortion pedal. I use the Grass pedal when I want a little more distortion. Both of them are great pedals and don't cost very much. If I had to choose between the two, it would be the Bad Horse. https://www.riffcityguitaroutlet.com/products/tone-city-bad-horse-overdrive-pedal?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoMDUu4aU3gIVS7XACh3Y1QhGEAQYAiABEgL6JvD_BwE

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 11:27 am    

Hey thanks for these suggestions y’all. I ultimately wish Brad Sarno would crank out an Mini Earth Drive!!

Mike Terry

Galesburg Il
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 7:03 am    

I don't know how big the pedaltrain nano is but i use the 3 pedal Boss BCB-30. I just bought a Fulltone OCD pedal that sounds great & fits perfectly with the mini Corona chorus & Flashback delay.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 3:16 pm    

Mooer has what they call the Rumble Drive. It's their clone of a Zen Drive

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 8:05 am    

"Bad Horse" got a good review here on the Forum a while back. That's what I use.

Jan Dunn

Union, NJ USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 2:19 pm     Overdrive pedal designed for clean amps-and it's small

Since PSG amps are inherently clean (and many solid state) you might read up on the Blackstone Mosfet pedal. It's intended for clean amps and I find it gives a pretty different (in a good way) type of tone through a Nashville 112. Anyway I think you'll find some interesting comments if you google the reviews on line. Tone is so subjective but I find this pedal way more satisfying than other overdrive pedals that just seem to make a fizzy sound. I don't have a clean tube amp but reviewers say that is where the pedal really shines.
I know it sounds great with a lap steel through a Vintage 47 tube amp (but that's already not a very clean amp from the get go).

Just thought I'd pass that along. My ears are getting pretty old so maybe I'm not the best source for an opinion on tone!